Phyllis Evelyn “Jacky” Jackson formerly of Baker City, Ore., passed away on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2007, of renal failure, in Oregon City, Ore.
Services will be held at Hillside Chapel on 7th Avenue in Oregon City, Saturday, Feb. 17, 10 a.m., with vault interment in Mountainview Cemetery in Oregon City.
Phyllis was born April 17, 1913, in Rothwell, Northamptonshire, England, the second of three children of Arthur and Mary Anne (Dawkins) Ward. She attended schools in Rothwell and at the age of 13 began her first job in Gruecock’s shoe factory. She later was employed at Desbeaux Corset Factory.
In 1934 she married Jack Bryan of Rothwell who was killed in action in 1942. She later met and married Arthur W. Jackson of Medical Springs, Ore., while he was stationed with the U.S. Army in England during World War II.
Following the war, she joined her husband in Baker City, Ore., in February 1946 accompanied by her three children, Jack, Christine and Terry. When they first arrived in Baker City they stayed at the Shady Rest Cabins on 10th St. in Baker, later sharing a home with Mrs. Wright on 8th St.
In 1947, they purchased their home on Walnut St. Two other sons, Robert and Bill were born in Baker City.
Following Arthur’s death in 1983, Phyllis continued to live on Walnut Street until she moved to be closer to her family in Portland in 1997. Upon arriving in her adopted country, Phyllis began work at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, first in the diet kitchen, later in the main kitchen. She was employed in both the old location and the new location until her retirement in the 1970s.
In her early years in Baker, Phyllis was involved as a Den Mother for the Cub Scouts, knitting instructor for the 4-H group, and the Baker Chapter of the Oregon Extension group. From her earliest childhood Phyllis showed a great interest and talent for making friends, painting, sewing and other arts and crafts.
She had a great appreciation for the beauty of nature and captured both the memories of her childhood setting and the beauty of Baker County in paintings which were displayed at various art shows and offices throughout Baker County. In the 60s and 70s, Phyllis and her son Bill entertained many children through their puppet shows at the Baker County Library and First Christian Church Sunday School featuring puppets designed and made by Phyllis.
Following her retirement from the hospital, Arthur and Phyllis owned and operated Miller’s Cafe in Baker City, Ore. After they closed the restaurant, Phyllis worked in other restaurants in the city, at the Salvation Army and also sold Avon products. In her later years she worked at The Record-Courier newspaper. She and her husband were founding members of the Crossroads Art Center in Baker City where she continued to hone her skills in painting and writing, even after suffering from macular degeneration. Her ability to overcome major setbacks was an inspiration to many. A lesson learned in early childhood, “it’ll do, won’t do,” she carried throughout her entire life, and became a beloved family motto.
Her friendliness and sharp sense of humor will be remembered by all who came in contact with her, traits that she instilled in her children and grandchildren.
She is survived by her children, G. Jack Bryan, Salem, Chris Storzbach (Ron) of Oregon City, Terry Jackson (Evelyn,) of Meridian, Idaho, Robert Jackson (Annetta) of Gladstone, Ore., Bill Jackson (Ron Deamer) of Portland, Ore.; former daughter-in-law, Joyce Phillips Bryan of Albany, Ore.; 10 grandchildren; 6 great-grandchildren; 2 great great grandchildren; cousin, Mary Ausmus (Jim) of Burns, Ore.; niece, Jo Marie Olivera (Louis) of Hanford, Calif.; many close friends.
Preceding her in death in addition to her two husbands were her infant brother, Phillip Louis Ward; sister, Vesta Ward; grandson, Sean Storzbach; and grand-daughter, Kay Lynn Jackson.
For those who wish, in lieu of flowers, please make a contribution to the Salvation Army, Oregon Humane Society, or the charity of your choice.
Used with permission from: The Record Courier, Baker City, Oregon, February, 2007
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor