Hon. B. R. Folsom, retired, was born, February 23, 1809, in Fumbridge, Orange Co., N. Y. His parents soon after removed to Wyoming County, where he was raised; carried on farming, milling and merchandising about twenty-five years; September, 1854, came to Omaha, and, October, 1854, removed to Burt County, where he has since resided, and is now the oldest settler in the State north of Omaha. He, with a party of nine others, made a claim of 640 acres, on which the town of Tekamah now stands. William N. Byers, surveyor, one of this party, surveyed the town site. They also contracted for ten small houses to be erected, and also a town house. The Governor ordered that the census of the county be taken. This occurred the fall before the election; numbered then twenty-six inhabitants. The first two houses built were at the expense of the town company. The first election was held where Cuming City now is, this being then a part of Burt County. The south boundary line was White Cow Creek, which is now part of Washington County. Mr. Folsom at once engaged in farming and stock raising. He, with his brother, erected a steam sawmill at Arizona Bottom, which was the first mill built north of Omaha. He was appointed Probate Judge by the Governor, being the first in the county; was a member of the Legislature in 1861. A company of twenty-two men was raised to suppress the Indians, who had become troublesome. Mr. Folsom was appointed by the Governor Captain of this company. He owns a farm of 130 acres joining the town and a number of residences here, as well as property in other parts of the State. Married, November 14, 1831, Miss Mary Rathbun of Onondaga County, N. Y. They have two sons and one daughter.