Joseph Wysong, manager of Allerton’s Ranch, P. O. Dayton, was born in Urbana, Ill., December 2, 1858. He was left an orphan, and lived with his aunt in Peoria County, Ill., until six years old. After that time, he lived in Fulton County, Ill., until the spring of 1880. He then came to Nebraska to act as manager of the ranch owned by his uncle, Samuel W. Allerton, a well-known member of the Board of Trade of Chicago. He married, at Dayton, Boone Co., Neb., September 14, 1881, Miss Nora E. Mitchell, who was born in Canada. The Allerton ranch is located in the southwestern part of Cedar Precinct, Boone County, and comprises over 13,000 acres. The buildings, consisting of a large two and one-half story frame house (24×40 feet long); barn, 50×54 feet long, with a capacity of sixty tons of hay, a large amount of grain, and shelter for thirty head of horses, cattle sheds, etc., all located on Section 21, Township 8, Range 8 west. Five sections of this ranch border on Timber Creek, which furnishes an unfailing supply of water for stock purposes. Four hundred and eighty acres are in cultivation, and 1,040 acres in pasture under fence, giving employment to nine men, and twenty-five head of workhorses. In the spring of 1882, there were planted on this ranch 350 acres corn, 55 acres oats, 50 acres flax and the rest in wheat. The ranch is also largely devoted to live stock. A herd of 150 head of stock cattle is kept on hand. It is expected by the management to feed annually from three hundred to five hundred head cattle for market. Considerable attention is also devoted to hogs, of which over 300 head are marketed annually.