Tawasa Indians (Alibamu: Tawáha). A Muskhogean tribe first referred to by the De Soto chroniclers in the middle of the 16th century as Toasi and located in the neighborhood of Tallapoosa river. Subsequently they moved south east and constituted one of the tribes to which the name “Apalachicola” was given by the Spaniards. About 1705 attacks by the Alibamu and Creeks compelled them to leave this region also and to seek protection near the French fort at Mobile. In 1707 the Pascagoula declared war against them, but peace was made through the intervention of Bienville. From this time the tribe ceased to be noted by French chroniclers, and at the close of the century it reappears as one of the four Alibamu towns, from which it seems likely that the Tawasa had allied or re-allied themselves with the Alibamu after the disturbance just alluded to. Their subsequent history is probably the same as that of the Alibamu.