What is now known as southwest Missouri, substantially Greene County as organized in 1833, was formerly known as the Osage Country, being the home of the Indian tribe for which it was named. After the War of 1812 the Kickapoos made villages on the Pomme de Terre River, and near the present site of Springfield, leaving their name in that of Kickapoo Prairie, south of that place. The history of the region is peculiarly interesting as that of one of the most important purely American settlements made in the State.
Greene county is in the southwest part of the State, 175 miles southeast of Kansas City. It is bounded on the north by Polk and Dallas, on the east by Webster, on the south by Christian, and on the west by Dade and Lawrence Counties. Springfield, the county seat, is the commercial center of a large territory. The principal smaller towns are Ash Grove, Walnut Grove, Republic, Cave Spring and Strafford. The territory now known as Greene County, excepting possibly a narrow strip on the north, was originally a portion of Wayne, one of the territorial counties. In 1829 it was included in Crawford County. January 2, 1833, Greene County was created, the organic act specifying that it was named in honor of “Nathaniel Green, of the Revolution.” The corrected form of the name, with the final “e,” appears in subsequent acts, but without explanation.
The following dataset contains numerous biographies of leading citizens of Greene County during the 19th century – these biographies provide a biographical narrative to the history of Greene County Missouri.
- Biography of Dr. Thomas Jefferson Bailey
- Biography of Dr. Beverly A. Barrett
- Biography of Ransom D. Blades, Sr.
- Biographical Sketch of Jeremiah C. Cravens
- Biography of Rev. William Jackson Haydon
- Biography of Col. Fidelio Sharp Jones
- Biography of Capt. George M. Jones
- Biography of Capt. S. H. Julian
- Biography of Daniel C. Kennedy
- Biographical Sketch of Alfred A. Lowdermilk, M. D.
- Biography of John L. M’Craw, Sr.
- Biography of William M’Kerrall
- Biography of Lilburn H. Murray
- Biographical Sketch of John Glenn Newbill
- Biography of Tyree Glenn Newbill
- Biography of John O’Day, Esq.
- Biographical Sketch of Dr. William H. Park
- Biography of Dr. Joseph M’Adoo
- Biography of Samuel Henry Melcher
- Biography of Hon. John S. Phelps
- Biography of Judge William Cecil Price
- Biography of Charles Warrington Rogers
- Biography of Henry Sheppard
- Biography of Hon. T. A. Sherwood
- Biography of Rev. Augustus H. Tevis