Compiled military service records for 1,235 Rough Riders, including Teddy Roosevelt have been digitized. The records include individual jackets which give the name, organization, and rank of each soldier. They contain cards on which information from original records relating to the military service of the individual has been copied. Included in the main jacket are carded medical records, other documents which give personal information, and the description of the record from which the information was obtained. These materials are held by the Old Military and Civilian Records (Washington, DC).
Search Hint: To retrieve the 1,235 digitized documents:
- Go to http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/.
- Press the Yellow search button to go to the Basic search screen.
- Enter Spanish American War and volunteer in the Keywords box. (To search for a specific person, add their first name and last name to the Keywords box. For example, enter Spanish American War and volunteer and Theodore Roosevelt in the Keywords box.)
- Select the limit results radio button for 2000.
- Select the box marked Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies.
- Press the Go button.
When hits are returned for your search, view the full result of your hit by selecting the Title link.
1 thought on “Rough Rider Search Instructions for NARA”
Last name, Goodenough. Not sure of first.