Charles Henry4 Wyman, b. in Barnard, Vt., Jan. 30, 1863; son of Elliot and Hester (Woodward) Wyman; m. June 15, 1890, at Barre, Mass., Martha Robinson, b. in Barre, June 5, 1865; dau. of Charles and Mary Stearns (Henry) Robinson. This Charles Henry was son of Elliot Wyman of Barnard, Vt.; who was the son of Ira Wyman of Stockbridge, Vt.; who was the son of Jasher Wyman of Stockbridge, who came there from Athens, Vt. The ch. of Charles H. and Hester were: Carl Robinson5, b. Summit, Wis., July 2, 1891. Herbert Harland5, b. East Jaffrey, Dec. 17, 1898.
Location: Jaffrey New Hampshire
EAST JAFFREY, a comely post village, is located in the southeastern part of the town, on the Monadnock railroad, at the head of Contoocook river, and is noted for its pure mountain air, pleasant drives and the beautiful scenery which surrounds it. It has too churches (Congregational and Universalist), one hotel, two banks, four stores, a cotton-mill, edge tool manufactory, two blacksmith shops, a chair-shop, and about fifty dwellings.
Joel Cutter, son of Joseph, married Mary S., daughter of Col. Timothy Jones, of Bedford, Mass. Nehemiah, one. of their ten children, married Emily A., daughter of Col. Oliver and Deborah (Perry) Bailey. He has two children, occupies a farm on road 20, and is a successful farmer and keeper of a summer boarding-house.
JAFFREY lies in the southeastern part of the county, in lat. 42° 50′, and long. 4° 59′, bounded, north, 113 rods by Marlboro and 2,408 rods by Dublin; east, 730 rods by Peterboro and 988 rods by Sharon; south, 1,898 rods by Rindge and 603 rods by Fitzwilliam; and west, 349 rods by Fitzwilliam, 806 rods by Troy, and 5o1 rods by Marlboro, thus having an area of about 22,000 acres, 1,000 of which are covered with water, and 3,200 rendered uninhabitable from its mountainous character. It was granted by the Masonian proprietors, under the name of Middle Monadnock. No.
Peter Upton, son of Jonathan and Nancy (Whittemore) Upton, was born in Tyngsborough, Mass., October 1, 1816. He came to Jaffrey in October, 1837, and entered the store of Hiram Duncan as clerk. Two years later he was admitted to an equal partnership in the new firm of Duncan & Upton. Upon the death of Mr. Duncan, in 1840, the business was continued by Mr. Upton, to whom was also committed the settlement of the estate of his late partner. and the completion of many important trusts which Mr. Duncan had in charge. He continued actively-engaged in trade until 1851,
Stephen Adams came to Jaffrey from Hamilton, Mass., about 1807 and settled upon the farm where D. P. Adams now resides, an road 25. He was in the naval service during the Revolution. He married Mehitable Cummings, of Marlboro, N. H., and reared a family of five children. His son Jessie married Ruth, daughter of Edward and Ruth Perkins, who bore him six children. He resided on road 26 for many years, or until his death, which occurred December 15, 1863. His son Addison has married twice, first, Mary L. Davis, of Lawrence, Mass., who bore him one son; second,
John Cutter son of Nathaniel, born at Woburn, Mass., March 16, 1765 came to Jaffrey in 1789. He married Abigail Demary, of Rindge, and so after commenced business as a tanner, buying the tannery of a Mr. Tanner which was afterwards occupied by his son, B. Cutter, Esq., but which has since been demolished. He was a man of singular energy of character and the first person in Jaffrey who kept his accounts according to the decimal system. By frugality and industry he acquired a competency. His so Ethan married Nancy B., daughter of Timothy and Elizabeth (Stiles) Blodgett, of
Benjamin Cutter, son of John, was born January 8, 1793. He married Grata, daughter of Nathan and Abigail (Hale) Hunt, of Rindge. She died November 5, 1871, aged seventy-eight. Mr. Cutter settled in early life where he now lives. He became a tanner and currier with his father, and purse the manufacture of leather originally in the establishment erected by father, and afterwards, until 1850, in the building now occupied for the same purpose by his son Julius. He has been a prominent man of the town, n seeking political honors, but ever ready to serve when called by his
Samuel Pierce came to Jaffrey, from Lunenburgh, Mass., in 1773, and settled upon the farm on road 58, where E. Cary now lives. He married twice, first, Abigail Carter, and second, Elizabeth Whitney, and reared a family of ten children. He died December 27, 1824, at the age of seventyfive years. His son Joseph married Esther Jaqueth, settled on the home farm, and had born to him eight children, three of whom are living. He died April 20, 1860. Frederick S., son of Joseph, married twice, first, Martha Tolman, and second, Mary A. Grant. He now resides in East Jaffrey,
Jacob Jewell came to Jaffrey, from Marlboro, Mass., settled upon a farm on road 5. and had born to him ten children. His son Dexter, the only one living, married Sarah Moore, and has four children. His son Samuel D., married twice, first Frances Cutter, who bore him two children, second Emily, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Evens) Upton, of Peterboro, N. H., and resides upon a farm on road 18.