Mary Scott Burkhart was born near St. Clairsville, Ohio, August 16, 1834, and died, at her home near Lebanon, on Sunday, April 4, 1897, aged 62 years, 7 months and 18 days.
At an early age she removed with her parents to Iowa, where she lived until her marriage with R. S. Burkhart, which occurred in 1864. Soon after this she came with her husband to Oregon, and located near Spicer, in this county, where she resided for 12 years, and then removed to the place now occupied by the family, at the foot of Peterson’s Butte, where she has resided continuously for more than 23 years, having been a citizen of this community for 35 years.
As a friend and neighbor, she was universally respected and beloved. “She was a true, noble, good woman,” was the verdict of her neighbors. She was of a quiet, gentle disposition; rather reserved in manner, but generous, sympathetic and hospitable. She was fond of home and its attractions, and tenderly attached to her family. Her influence as a Christian mother is felt in the community, and is a precious legacy to her children. She was a true and faithful friend, a kind neighbor, and firm and steadfast in her religious life and character.
For the last four months she contended with the disease which resulted in her death. At times she was a great sufferer. The last few days of her sickness her sufferings were extreme. Thought, at times she expressed anxiety for the Master’s coming, yet she was resigned and patient through the entire ordeal. Sister Burkhart united with the M. E. Church, South, under the ministry of Rev. T. B. White, many years ago, and has lived a consistent and faithful member ever since that time.
She was ready and willing to go when the summons finally came. As a true mother, her heart clung tenderly to her children, and her only regret was the necessity of leaving them behind in this world of sin and sorrow. She leaves three daughters and one son of her own family, and seven members of her husband’s family, to whom she seemed equally attached, to mourn her loss.
Lebanon Express, April 8, 1897
Contributed by: Shelli Steedman