A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Guale. The Indian name by which the Spaniards knew the present Amelia id. N. coast of Florida, and a part of the adjacent Florida and Georgia coast, in the 16th century. There is strong probability that the tribe in occupancy was that known later as Yamasi. In 1597 the son of the chief of Guale led a revolt against the missions that had been established by the Spanish Franciscans a few years before. There were then on the island at least 3 mission villages Asao, Asopo, and Ospo. The missions were reestablished in 1605 and may have continued until their destruction by the English and their Indian allies in 1704-06. (J.M)
Guaxule. A village, apparently of the Creeks, visited by De Soto in 1540. Coxe seems to locate it near the head of Mobile r.; Shipp places it on the Chattahoochee, and Thomas (12th Rep. B. A. E., 649, 1894) near Cartersville, in Bartow co., Ga. The Spaniards were entertained so well at this place that to the army its name became a synonym for good fortune. See Etowah mound.