House, Augustus F.; physician; born, Cleveland, Oct. 7, 1847; son of Hudson M. and Mary Snyder House; studied at Woodville and Oberlin; graduated Western Reserve Medical College; post-graduate work at Vienna, Berlin and London; married, Cleveland, 1872, Mary Grace Cleave; two children; clinical professor of surgory, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Cleveland; director and member of finance committee of Lake Shore Banking & Trust Co.; member American Medical Ass’n, Ohio State Medical Ass’n, Cleveland Academy of Medicine (president, 1898); pres. of medical staff and trustee St. Clair Hospital; Past Eminent Commander of Oriental Commandery, K. T., Past Most Excellent High
Collection: The Book of Clevelanders
Hall, Lewis; life insurance; born, Ox Bow, N. Y., Nov. 19, 1S57; son of Caleb G. and Catherine J. Lewis Hall; educated, Cazenovia, N. Y., Evanston, Ill.; married, Theresa, N. Y., March 31, 1896, Henrietta C. Simonds; twenty years representative The Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co., Newark, N. J., at present with The Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Co., Hartford Conn.; director T. H. Geer & Co.; member of Wade Park Lodge, No. 800, I. O. O. F.
Farrelly, John Patrick, Rt. Rev. D. D.; Bishop of Cleveland; born, Memphis, Tenn., March 15, 1856; son of John P. and Martha Clay Moore Farrelly; early education in the grammar schools of Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky; studied classics for three years at Georgetown University, Washington, D. C.; in 1873, went to Europe, to complete classical education; graduated from the College of Notre Dame de la Paix, Namur, Belgium; from Namur, went to the American College, Rome, to study philosophy and theology; at the conclusion of a brilliant course received the Doctorate in Sacred Theology from The University of the Propaganda,
Fairchild, Egbert Nelson; flour mfgr.; born, Peekskill, N. Y., Sept. 28, 1868; son of Egbert Henry and Mary Seymour Fairchild; public school education; married, Buffalo, N. Y., Oct. 4, 1893, Gertrude A. Kenny; two daughters Catherine and Mary; in flour milling business twenty-seven years; becoming pres. of the Cleveland Milling Co. in 1910; before that mgr. Pittsburgh Flour Co., Minneapolis; member Cleveland Athletic and Euclid Golf Clubs.
Hansen, George C.; attorney-at-law; born, Schlesni, Germany, May 30, 1868; son of Henry William and Hannah Peterson Hansen; educated, Ohio Northern University, B. A., 1895, University of Michigan, LL. B., 1898; married, Cleveland, June 29, 1904, Orra Phillips; issue, three children; asst. county prosecutor of Cuyahoga county, from 1908 to 1910; pres. Lakewood Chamber of Commerce, 1912-1913; pres. Cuyahoga County Sunday School Ass’n, 1908-1910; taught country school in Wood county in 1889-1891; supt. of Hoytville, O., schools, 1892-1894; supt. Perrysburg, Ohio, schools, 1896-1897; began practicing law in Cleveland, September, 1898; director Lakewood Bank, Crucible Steel Castings Co., and W. E.
Daly, Martin B.; born, May 11, 1860, and his early life was spent on a farm with his parents near Mayville, N. Y.; his grand-parents on both sides were born in Ireland; he received his education in public schools at Mayville, and in 1878, left home and went to the Bradford oil fields in Pennsylvania, and for three years worked in various capacities on leases, drilling wells, pipe lines and pump stations in the Bradford and Richburg field; in 1881, he was engaged as assistant superintendent of the Warren County (Pennsylvania) Gas Fuel and Heating Company, controlled at that time
Darby, John Eaton; physician; born, South Williamstown, Mass., Aug. 20, 1835; son of William and Electa (Edwards) Darby; A. B., Williams College, 1858; M. D., Western Reserve Medical College, 1861; married at Cleveland, Julia Frances Wright, of Hudson, O., April 11, 1861 (died May 3, 1867); 2d, Emma Maybell Cox, of Cleveland, May 1, 1872 (died June 2, 1888); prof. Latin and Greek, Cleveland Institute, 1858-1860; demonstrator anatomy, Western Reserve Medical College, 1861-1862; surgeon in Civil War, 1862-1866; surgeon Cleveland & Pittsburg R. R., 1867-1887; member medical board, City Hospital, 1895-1908; emeritus prof. therapeutics, 1906, Western Reserve Medical College; has
Drew, Frank M.; mgr. Star Theater; born, New York City, June 30, 1852; son of Frank N. and Louisa M. Drew; educated, public schools, Philadelphia, Pa.; Military Academy at Village Green, Pa.; married, 1885, Blanche C. Collard, of Wyandotte, Mich.; issue, six children; actor for two years, following the profession in New York City; sixteen years in the circus business; conducted museums in Providence, Columbus, Cleveland and Indianapolis; in 1883, built the Cleveland Theater and became connected with Mr. Campbell in conducting playhouses in various places; leased Colonial theater in Cleveland and subject to Ray F. Comstock; member Elks and
Cottingham, Walter Horace; president The Sherwin Williams Co.; born, Ounenice, Ont., Canada, Jan. 8, 1866; son of William and Lucy Cottingham; first employed as clerk in hardware store in Peterboro, Ont.; prop. Walter H. Cottingham & Co., paints and varnishes, Montreal; senior partner Cottingham, Robertson & Co., Montreal; in 1896, mgr. Montreal branch, The Sherwin Williams Co.; appt. gen. mgr. Sherwin Williams Co. of Ohio, in 1898; vice pres. and gen. mgr. in 1903; pros. in 1908; is also pres. Sherwin Williams Co. of Canada, Ltd.; Cleveland Box Co. and Ozark Smelting Co.; chairman of board, Lewis Berger & Sons,
Freshwater, Milton; paving contractor; born, West Virginia, Sept. 11, 1877; son of E. A. and Clarenda Campbell Freshwater; educated in commercial course at Morgantown, W. Va.; married, Johnstown, Pa., Dec. 31, 1907, Miss C. B. Williams; two children; has worked at the street-paving business since 1893; completing street paving in the following places; Johnstown and Freeport, Pa., Chester, W. Va., Alliance, Richwood, Ada and Cleveland, Ohio; since April, 1909; the paving contracts are man-aged by three members of the firm, while Mr. E. A. Freshwater takes no part in this branch of the business; the firm consists of E. A.