Lorenzo Dulmage Raymond, Clerk of the Peace and County Attorney, is a native of the County of Leeds, Ontario, dating his birth September 28, 1811. The Raymonds are a New England family, originally English. His father, Truman Raymond, M. D., coming from Massachusetts in 1808, settling in the old Johnston district, acting as surgeon at Gananoque in the war of 1812-14; was Coroner of Lincoln and Welland when united; a pioneer in the temperance cause in the Niagara District, and a very excellent man, dying at Welland in 1861. The mother of Lorenzo was Elizabeth Dulmage, whose father was a United Empire Loyalist, a Lieutenant in the British Army in 1775-1783, and drew his lands on the St. Lawrence, just below Prescott. Lorenzo is the eldest of four children who grew up, two sons and two daughters. The other son has since died. One daughter is the wife of R. A. Clarke, of St. Catharines; the other is unmarried. In 1824 the family moved westward to Niagara, where our subject was educated by the Rev. Thomas Creen, and studied law with Charles Richardson, being called to the Bar at Trinity term, June, 1835, Mr. Raymond practiced his profession at Chippawa until the close of the rebellion in 1838, acting as a soldier during that exciting period, and then moved to St. Catharines, where he continued his practice and his connection with the military, being promoted, step by step, to a Captaincy in the 5th Lincoln, Lieut. Colonel John Clark, commander. From 1845 to 1853 he again resided in Chippawa; and returning to St. Catharines he remained there until the separation of the Counties of Lincoln and Welland in 1856, when he was appointed Clerk of the Peace for Welland, and removed to his present home. Subsequently he was appointed County Attorney, and still holds both offices, continuing, meantime, his legal practice, and doing a good business in the several Courts. He is a careful lawyer, very attentive to his business, prompt and perfectly reliable.
Mr. Raymond has often served as a trustee of the Grammar School, and has occasionally acted as chairman of that Board, being ready at all times, we understand, to cooperate with his fellow citizens in promoting the educational interests of this the county town, whose schools have a high reputation.
Mr. Raymond is a member of the Church of England; has served as warden a number of years, and has been a delegate to the Synod at sundry times.
In October, 1855, Miss Mary Jane Cochrane, of St. Catharines, and whose widowed mother was from Armagh, Ireland, was joined in marriage with Mr. Raymond, and they have four children, three sons and one daughter. Samuel D., the eldest son, is in the Imperial Bank, Toronto; William B. is in the Engineer’s office, Welland Canal, and Lorenzo Clarke and Mary Elizabeth, are pursuing their studies in the local schools.