Among the horticultural industries well worthy of mention is that of Mr. West, conducted upon a twenty-acre tract, located on the west side of Magnolia avenue, between Jackson and Van Buren, about six miles south of Riverside. Mr. West came to this place in 1884, and in July of the next year purchased his present home, and entered upon horticultural pursuits. The place was planted with trees and vines and partially improved in buildings. He commenced a thorough cultivation and fertilization, and added to that a vigorous pruning systematically applied, that has produced wonderful results, and today his groves and vineyards rank second to none in that section. He is a thorough businessman, having been trained to business pursuits in his boyhood, and spent years of his manhood in mercantile life. In his new calling, which he took up in Riverside, he applied the same intelligent care, study and research that he had applied to previous pursuits, and the results were the same. As an illustration of what he has done, with a grove that is young and by no means in full bearing, and also to show the rapid increase in yield that lie has secured, it is noted that his ten acres of orange trees, ten years old from the seed and six years from the bud in 1889, and composed of two-thirds budded fruit and one-third seedlings, gave the following returns: in 1886, the yield was 200 boxes: in 1887, 800 boxes; in 1888, 1,500 boxes, which netted him $2,000. The crops of 1889 is estimated to be 2,500 boxes, netting from $3,000 to $3,500; six acres of raisin grapes in 1888 yielded $900, the same in 1889 gave $1,200. Four acres of apricots in 1888 gave a yield producing $450. These trees are being uprooted and replaced with orange.
Mr. West is a native of Nova Scotia, dating his birth in Halifax, 1851. His father, Augustus W. West, is a prominent businessman, merchant and banker of that city, and is largely engaged in the West India trade. Mr. West was reared in Halifax, receiving the advantages of a thorough classical and business education, and then engaged with his father in mercantile pursuits. In 1877 he was received as a partner in the old established firm of J. T. & A. W. West, and continued in active business life until 1884. His failing health then demanded a change of business labors, and the seeking of a wore genial climate, and in that year he came to Riverside and soon after entered upon his present occupation. He has other interests in Southern California, among which is a 120-acre ranch in San Diego County, about ten miles from Escondido.
Mr. West is an enterprising and progressive citizen, and one who promptly identifies himself with the interests of Riverside and its people, and already has a large circle of friends in the community. He is a consistent member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. West has a pleasant and happy home; he married in 1878, wedding Miss Sadie Coleman, a native of Cleveland, Ohio. They have three children: Ina Mabel, Ernest W. and Marguerita R.