Duff G. Maynard, of the firm of Trowbridge & Maynard, is a native of California, dating his birth in San Francisco in 1865. His parents were Lafayette and Mary E. (Green) Maynard, natives of Virginia and representatives of some of the oldest families of that State. His father was an officer in the United States Navy, and participated in the Mexican War, after which he resigned from the service and located in San Francisco as a capitalist and real-estate dealer. He died in that city in 1874.
The subject of this sketch was reared in San Francisco and educated in, and closing his studies by graduating at, Trinity School in 1880. He then entered into mercantile life as a clerk in the book and stationery house of Cunningham, Curtis & Welch. His natural abilities and strict attention to business enabled him to advance rapidly, and he was promoted to higher grades of service until he was placed at the head of one of the important departments of the establishment. Mr. Maynard continued in that employ until 1888, when he came to Riverside and entered into his present business with his friend and associate, Mr. Trowbridge. He has been successful in his enterprise, and is destined to take a lead in the business and social circles of Riverside.
His straightforward business principles, manly bearing and genial temperament have gained him the sincere friendship of his associates. In political matters he is a supporter of the Republican Party, and is also a member of the Episcopal Church of Riverside, being Junior Warden of the same.
Trowbridge & Maynard Among the business firms of Riverside, there is none more worthy of mention in the history of the enterprise of that city than that of Trowbridge & Maynard, the popular booksellers and stationers. The firm is composed of Charles C. Trowbridge and Duff G. Maynard. These young men from boyhood have been brought up and schooled in the business in which they are now established, and for years were trusted employees of the largest stationery house in San Francisco. In March, 1888, they established their business in Riverside, first opening their store on Eighth street, east of Main, and in February, 1889, moved to their present commodious store in the Cunningham block, corner of Eighth and Main streets, where they greatly enlarged and increased their business, until they now have an establishment that is not excelled in the character and variety of the stock and appointments by any in the county. Besides dealing in everything pertaining to books and stationery, they devote their attention to fancy goods. They have the agency for the celebrated Kan-Koo Company of Los Angeles, and thus present to their patrons a complete and varied stock of Japanese goods. They also have the agency for the Mexican phosphate and sulphuret fertilizers, and Wheeler & Wilson sewing machines. They are enterprising and progressive, well trained in business, and their dealings are characterized by a liberality and honesty which have gained them both the patronage and esteem of the community.