Dr. S. C. Bogart, one of the leading practitioners of dentistry in San Bernardino County, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in October 1852. His parents being what are termed Pennsylvania Germans, spoke and taught their children the language of the fatherland as the sole medium of communication in the family. His mother died in his childhood and he became self-supporting from the age of fifteen years. Soon after attaining his majority he went to Illinois and began the study of dentistry in Macomb; and after completing the study of the profession and a short time of practice in that State, he went to Minnesota in 1876, and married Miss Smith, of Joliet, Illinois, in 1879.
During the five succeeding years of his residence in Minnesota Dr. Bogart enjoyed a flourishing professional business. In 1881 he removed to New Mexico. Not being pleased with that country, after a brief stay they came to California and settled in San Bernardino, where the Doctor has been actively engaged in his profession ever since, save about eighteen months. His fine dental practice extends throughout this valley and to the remote parts of the county.
Dr. Bogart possesses a business and speculative turn of mind, which he has indulged quite extensively, and successfully, dealing in real estate and in building enterprises. In 1888 he built the two-story brick block that bears his name and in which his office is situated, adjoining the courthouse yard on the east. It has fifty-two and one-half feet frontage on Court Street and is .115 feet in depth; the first floor is divided into two fine stores, and the second story is devoted to offices. He has also improved several other pieces of city and suburban property. Dr. Bogart is recognized as one of San Bernardino’s most enterprising and public-spirited citizens. In politics he is a Republican, the only member of his family on either side who is not a Democrat.