Mathews, E. J., Middlebury, was born in Middlebury, Vt., on May 5, 1827. His parents were Eli and Annis (Lothrop) Mathews. Deacon Eli Mathews was born in Stoneham, Mass., on February 16, 1794, and came to Addison county, Vt., with his father, Captain Timothy Mathews, soon after 1800, and first settled in Middlebury village, where Timothy Mathews followed his trade of shoemaking. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and commanded a company from Addison county, Vt., in the War of 1812. He died on September 4. 1857. Eli was a blacksmith by trade, and followed that business in Middlebury village until 1848, when he purchased the place which is now owned by his son, E. J., and which was formerly the old Stowell place. It consists of 138 acres of land, and is now a very fine place. Deacon Eli Mathews was in the War of 1812, and was for many years deacon of the Congregational Church. He never desired public office. He died on October 4, 1864. E. J. Mathews was educated in the common schools, and was brought up to farming on the old place. He was married on March 18, 1850, to Mary Moore, a daughter of Warren Moore, a former and well-known resident of the town of Middlebury, Vt. They have had one son born to them — Charles James, born on October 16, 1855. He is a farmer by occupation, and now conducts the home place. He was married in May, 1880, to Jennie Brooks, and they now have two sons.