Dakubetede Indians were located on Applegate River in Oregon.
Kwalhioqua Indians were located on the upper course of Willopah River, and the southern and western headwaters of the Chehalis. Gibbs (1877) extends their territory eastward of the Cascades, but Boas (1892) doubts the correctness of this.
Kiowa Apache Indians. The name is derived from that of the Kiowa and from the circumstance that they spoke a dialect related to those of the better-known Apache tribes, though they had no other connection with them. Also called: Bad-hearts, by Long (1823). (See Kaskaias.) Cancey or Kantsi, meaning “liars,” applied by the Caddo to all Apache of the Plains, but oftenest to the Lipan. Essequeta, a name given by the Kiowa and Comanche to the Mescalero Apache, sometimes, but improperly, applied to this tribe. Gáta’ka, Pawnee name. Gǐnä’s, Wichita name. Gû’ta’k, Omaha and Ponca name. K’á-pätop, Kiowa name, meaning
Kuneste Indians (Wailaki: ‘Indian’). The southernmost Athapascan group on the Pacific Coast, consisting of several tribes loosely or not at all connected politically, but speaking closely related dialects and possessing nearly the same culture. They occupied the greater part of Eel River basin, including the whole of Van Duzen Fork, the main Eel to within a few miles of Round Valley, the south fork and its tributaries to Long and Cahto Valleys, and the coast from Bear River range south to Usal. Their neighbors were the Wishosk on the north, the Wintun on the west, and on the south the
Dakubetede Indians. A group of Athapascan villages formerly on Applegate creek, Oregon. The inhabitants spoke a dialect practically identical with that employed by the Taltushtuntede who lived on Gallice Creek not far from them. They were intermarried with the Shasta, who, with the Takilman, were their neighbors. With other insurgent bands they were removed to the Siletz reservation in 1856.
Chilula Indians (Tsu-lu’-la, from Tsula, the Yurok name for the Bald hills.) A small Athapascan division which occupied the lower (north west) portion of the valley of Redwood Creek, north California and Bald hills, dividing it from Klamath valley. They were shut off from the immediate coast of Yurok, who inhabited villages at the mouth of Redwood Creek. The name of the Chilula for themselves is not known; it is probable that like most of the Indians of the region they had none, other than the word for “people” above them on Redwood creek was the related Athapascan group known
Kwalhioqua ( from Tkulxiyo-goa(‘ikc:kulxi, ‘at a lonely place in the woods’, their Chinook name.- Boas) An Athapascan tribe which formerly lived on the upper course of Willopah river, western Washington. Gibbs extends their habitat east into the upper Chehalis, but Boas does not believe they extended east of the Coast range. They have been confounded by Gibbs and others with a Chinookan tribe on the lower course of the river called Willopah. The place where they generally lived was called Nq!ul´was. The Kwalhioqua and Willopah have ceded their land to the United States 1Royce in 18th Rep. B.A. E., pt.
Chetco Indians (from Cheti, ‘close to the mouth of the stream’: own name.- J.O. Dorsey). a group of former Athapascan villages situated on each side of the mouth of and about 14 miles up Chetco river, Oregon. There were 9 villages, those at the mouth of the river containing 42 houses, which were destroyed by the whites in 1853, after which the Chetco were removed to Siletz Reservation, Tillamook County, Oregon. In 1854 they numbered 63 men, 96 women and 104 children; total 262. In 1877 only 63 resided on Siletz reservation. These villagers were closely allied to the Tolowa
Tolowa Indians. An Athapascan tribe of extreme north west California. When first known they occupied the coast from the mouth of Klamath river nearly to the Oregon line, including Smith river valley and the following villages: Echulit, Khoonkhwuttunne, and Khosatumie of the Khaamotene branch, Chesthltishtunne, Tatlatunne, Ataakut, Meetkeni, Stuntusunwhott, Targhinaatun, Thltsusmetunne, and Turghestlsatun. They were gathered on a reservation in 1862, which was established on leased land, but it was abandoned in 1868, since which time the Tolowa have shifted for themselves. They are much demoralized and greatly reduced in numbers. Their language is unintelligible to the Hupa. In culture
Umpqua Indians. An Athapascan tribe formerly settled on upper Umpqua river, Oregon, east of the Katish. Hale 1Hale, Ethnology and Philology, 204, 1846 said they were supposed to number not more than 400, having been greatly reduced by disease. They lived in houses of boards and mats and derived their sustenance mainly form the river. In 1902 there were 84 on Grande Ronde Reservation, Oregon. Their chief village was Hewut. A part of them, the Nahankhuotana, lived along Cow Creek. All the Athapascan tribes of south Oregon were once considered divisions of the Umpqua. Parker 2Parker, Jour., 262, 1842 named