J. E. Robinson, a farmer living near Temperance Hall, was born October 31, 1832, in Smith (now Dekalb) County. He is the fifth of seven children of John and Eliza (Harris) Robinson. The father was born about 1799, near Nashville, and was brought when an infant, by his father, to the farm where his son now resides. The country at that time was an unbroken canebrake, and infested by many Indians, who were treacherous and troublesome. There were also great quantities of wild animals, the bears often coming about the place which Stephen Robinson purchased. He was one of the most extensive stock raisers in the country, especially blooded horses.
Our subject was educated in the common schools of Dekalb County, and attended one session of Irwin College, Warren County. December 14, 1854, he married Miss Margaret E., daughter of Nicholas and Sarah (Compton) Smith. Mrs. Robinson was born November 8, 1831. Their union resulted in the birth of nine children: Charley E., John Morgan, Sallie E. (Now Mrs. Martin), Willie, Sidney, and Mattie. Those deceased are Lillie Dale, Lizzie and Henrietta. Mr. Robinson, at the time of his marriage, was in such close pecuniary circumstances that he had to borrow the money with which the license was bought. He farmed on rented land and finally purchased. He accumulated considerable property, but it was mostly destroyed by the war, with the exception of a house and lot near Temperance Hall. A few years since he inherited some property from his wife, and by hard work he has become the owner of 254 acres, all of which is well cultivated and improved. He was trustee of his church about six years, and superintendent of the Sunday school.
He was a Whig, but since the war has gone with the Democratic Party. He has given his children good educational advantages, and is deeply interested in all school matters, and the advancement of all beneficial enterprises. He is a liberal contributor to religious and charitable institutions. Four of his children belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South and Mrs Robinson to the Missionary Baptist.