Thomas H. Parks, of the firm of Parks, Taylor & Co., of Lynchburg, Tennessee, is a son of Ambrose Lee and Eleanor E. (Watts) Parks. The father was born in North Carolina. After his marriage he moved to Missouri, where he resided until 1846, and then came to Lynchburg, Tennessee, where he was engaged the wheelwright and wagon making business. Both parents died in 1850.
Thomas H. was born in Missouri October 19, 1840, being but nine years old when his parents died. He made his home with an uncle in Alexander County, North Carolina, until seventeen years old. In 1858 he came to Lynchburg, Tennessee, and engaged in the carpenter’s trade, relying upon his own exertions for support. He joined the Confederate Army, Turney’s First Tennessee, Company E, and served until the close of the war, with the exception of nearly two years spent in prison. He began dealing in livestock after the war, and about 1870 began selling goods in Lynchburg, but on a very limited scale. He has increased his business from time to time, and is now doing well financially and is one of the leading business men of Lynchburg.
He was married in 1869 to E. A. M. Taylor, daughter of Squire J.H. Taylor, and their union has been blessed with six children: Minnie M., John L., Willie K., Emma P., Thomas H. and Nellie H. Mr. Parks are democrats, and own about 200 acres of land. He and wife and eldest daughter are members of the Christian Church.