Clarissa Sherwood, 94, of Roseburg, a former Halfway resident, died July 11, 2007, at Bend.
Her funeral was today at Chapel of the Roses. The Rev. Dwayne brown of the First Presbyterian Church officiated. Private entombment was at Roseburg Memorial Gardens.
Clarissa was born on Nov. 25, 1912, and was raised at Halfway. She was the daughter of Alva and Gladys Fisher and the first of six children.
After graduating from Halfway High School, she attended Eastern Oregon Normal School at La Grande, graduating in 1933. She began her teaching career with 12 students in a one-room school house at Zumwalt.
After one year at Zumwalt she taught at Cornucopia. She received her bachelor’s degree in teaching from the University of Oregon at Eugene in 1956.
She met her future husband, Cecil Sherwood, while teaching at Cornucopia and was married May 26.
She moved to Roseburg in 1948 and taught fifth and sixth grades at Rose Elementary School for the next 28 years, retiring in 1976. After her retirement she became a volunteer for the Mercy Hospital Auxiliary for the next 30 years.
She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and a past president of Delta Kappa Gamma Educational Sorority.
After retiring, she spent many fun-filled winters in the Palm Springs area where she made many new friends and enjoyed life to the fullest. She traveled extensively and loved everything she saw and experienced.
Survivors include her daughter and husband, Janete and Tom Howes of Aiea, Hawaii; a son and his wife, Bill and Jeanette Sherwood of Redmond; five grandchildren, Bill Howes, Brian Hoes, Donald Sherwood, Daniel Sherwood and Dianna Pierce; and 10 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; four brothers; one sister; and her husband, Cecil, who died in 1981.
Used with permission from: The Record Courier, Baker City, Oregon, July 19, 2007
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor