William James “Bill” Cantrell, 84, of La Grande and a former North Powder resident, died April 3, 2001, at a local care facility.
A celebration of life service was today at the North Powder Methodist Church. Sally Wiens will officiate. Committal and interment was in North Powder Cemetery. Arrangements are under the direction of the Daniels Chapel of the Valley.
Mr. Cantrell was born on June 19, 1916, at La Grande to William Jasper and Martha Mildred McKenzie Cantrell. He grew up in La Grande and graduated from La Grande High School and Eastern Oregon College. He earned a master’s degree in education from the University of Southern California at Los Angeles in 1953.
Mr. Cantrell taught school for many years. His first position was at a small rural school at Beaver Creek near Baker City. He also taught at the Baker Middle School before accepting a position in Umatilla as principal.
While at Umatilla he met Lula Davis who was teaching there. They were married on June 17, 1952, at La Grande. They moved to Warrenton where they taught for several years and then to Portland where Mr. Cantrell taught at David Douglas School. They later moved to Baker City where he taught a short time until his retirement.
They then moved to the ranch at North Powder where they lived until moving to La Grande. His wife died on Sept. 29, 1998. Mr. Cantrell had been a resident of the Evergreen Vista Care Center since 1996.
He was a life member of the Baker Masonic Lodge, the Shrine, the Scottish Rite, the Oregon Education Association and the National Education Association. He also was a member of the Cattlemen’s Association.
Survivors include his brother, Jerry Cantrell of Haines; stepchildren, Patsy Patterson of Oliver, British Columbia, Canada; numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Shriner’s Hospital for Children or a charity of one’s choice through Daniels Chapel of the Valley, 1502 Seventh St., La Grande, OR, 97850.
Used with permission from: The Baker City Herald, Baker City, Oregon, April 13, 2001
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor