Hon. Daniel Newcomb is first mentioned in the annals of Keene as a delegate to a county convention, held at Walpole, in 1780, of which he was clerk. He was born in Norton, Mass., in 1746, graduated at Harvard college, in 1768, settled in Keene in 1778, and commenced to practice law in 1783. In 1790 he was appointed chief judge of Cheshire county court. He was a justice of the superior court of judicature, from April 6, 1796, to 1798. In 1800 he was elected the first state senator from Keene, and resigned November 21, of the same year. In 1805 he was again elected. He died July 14, 1818. His house, at the south end of Main street, is still known as the “Judge Newcomb house.” It w-.; mainly through his efforts, and those of Noah Cooke, that the first court-house was built, in 1796.