Hon. B. K. Smith, farmer, Section 14, Township 19, Range 5 west, P. O. St. Edward, was born in Milwaukee County, Wis., June 23, 1847. His parents moved, while he was an infant, to West Bend, Washington Co., Wis., where he resided until twenty-two years old. He then went to Carroll County, Mo., where he taught school awhile. He then returned to his home in Wisconsin, there engaging in teaching school two or three years. He married, at Barton, Wis., November 18, 1869, Miss Almina Taylor, who was born at East Troy, Walworth Co., Wis. They have four children–Mabel, Jessie, Leighton and Grove. In 1874, he entered into general merchandising at Barton, Wis., in partnership with J. O. Disher, continuing until 1877, when they disposed of their business there and moved to Nebraska, engaging in general merchandising at St. Edward until the fall of 1880, when Mr. S. sold his interest in the store to his partner. He then removed to his farm, three miles north of St. Edward, and has since resided there. His farm, consisting of 160 acres, is finely located on an elevated table land, from which Albion and a large portion of the surrounding country can be seen. Mr. S. is a Republican and takes an active part in county and State politics. He was elected to the State Senate from the Eleventh District in the fall of 1880, was Chairman of the Committee on Constitutional Amendments. He originated and carried through the Senate the bill to prevent the adulteration of food and the sale of adulterated food in the State. He is also one of the prominent temperance workers in the State.