Capt. Robert Hardy, real estate dealer, St. Edward, was born in Botetourt County, Va., December 28, 1829, living there until seven years old. His parents then moved to St. Joseph County, Ind. He resided there most of the time until 1871. When nineteen years old he went to Niles, Mich., and learned the blacksmith’s trade, which he followed exclusively nearly twenty-five years. He married at Springfield, Ohio, June 18, 1851, Miss Olive W. Cushman, who was born in Xenia, Ohio. She died March 5, 1882, leaving two children–Grace and Eva. In 1861, he enlisted in the army, and was elected captain of Company K, Twelfth Michigan Volunteers, serving over a year. He was at the battle of Shiloh, and soon afterward was taken sick, on which account he was discharged. After his discharge he returned home, and regaining his health he entered the Quartermaster’s Department, remaining about six months, when the war ended. He then returned to Cass County, Mich., where he had a small farm and blacksmith shop. In the spring of 1871, he moved to Nebraska, taking a homestead in Boone County, in May. He resided there until he proved up his claim. He then returned to South Bend, Ind., where he served two years as City Marshal and two years as Sheriff of St. Joseph County. He then returned to St. Edward, a portion of which is built on his farm, which adjoins it on the south. He built the Hardy House and other buildings, and has done much to improve the town and to have the surrounding country settled up.