Biography of Timothy J. Sullivan

TIMOTHY J. SULLIVAN is the name familiarly borne by two of Springfield’s most successful business men, father and son. Timothy J. Sullivan, Sr., president of the Sullivan Coal Company of Springfield, was born in West Springfield in 1864, a son of Thomas and Ellen (O’Leary) Sullivan. His father, Thomas Sullivan, was a section foreman for the Boston & Albany Railroad at Mittineague, Massachusetts, a small village in the environs of Springfield.

Timothy J. Sullivan, Sr. was educated in the public schools and the high school in West Springfield. He entered the service of the Boston & Albany Railroad early in life and was roadnaster for twenty-five years, gaining a wide acquaintance throughout the towns and cities of a large district, becoming successful in his calling. He established the Sullivan Coal Company in 1905. It was located first on Liberty Street, but the expanding business, caused its removal in 1918 to No. 436 Taylor Street. It is wholly confined to delivering bituminous and anthracite coal to householders and individual consumers, and is the largest retail coal business in the city of Springfield. Timothy J. Sullivan, Sr., is president of the company, although he has retired and takes only an incidental interest in the management He was water commissioner of West Springfield about 1900. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and in religion is a Roman Catholic, worshiping with the congregation of the Cathedral.

Mr. Sullivan married, in June, 1887, in Mittineague, Mary Murphy, daughter of Edward and Johanna (Buckley) Murphy, of that place. Timothy Joseph, Sr., and Mary (Murphy) Sullivan are the parents of ten children, as follows : 1. Thomas, born September 25, 1891 deceased. 2. Timothy Joseph, Jr., of further mention. 3. Helen, born February 4, 1892; married, November 18, 1920, Charles H. McMahon, and they have two children, William Edward, born January 21, 1924, and Robert Buckridge, born June 17, 1925. 4. Mary, born October 11, 1893; married, October 20, 1920, Edward King, and they have three children, Mary Agnes, born October 6, 1821; Edward, Jr., born August 20, 1923, and Donald, born March 3, 1925. 5. Agnes, born October 6, 1895, married Morris W. Maloney September 1, 1921, and they have two children, Elizabeth, born October 12, 1922, and Jean, born August 2, 1925. 6. Cecilia, born February 8, 1898. 7. William, born September 13, 1900. 8 Edward, born July 30, 1902, 9. Margaret, born October 23, 1904. 10. Alice, born June 19, 1907.

Timothy Joseph Sullivan, Jr., was born in West Springfield July 17, 1890. After attending the public schools he finished his studies at the Central High School in Springfield, and at an early age associated himself in business with his father. He has been nineteen years in the coal office, and is treasurer of the Sullivan Coal Company, conducting its affairs himself. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks in Springfield, the Knights of Columbus, and the Foresters of America. He holds membership in the Tuesday Club, the Lions Club of Springfield, the Oxford Country Club, the Mount Tom Country Club of Holyoke, Massachusetts, and is a member of the Roman Catholic Church and congregation of the Cathedral of St Michael

He married, January 28, 1918, Clara A. O’Neil. The business address of Timothy J. Sullivan, Jr., is No. 310 Main Street; his house address is No. 186 Park Drive, Colony Hill, Springfield, Massachusetts.



Lockwood, John H. (John Hoyt); Bagg, Ernest Newton; Carson, Walter S. (Walter Scott); Riley, Herbert E. (Herbert Elihu); Boltwood, Edward; Clark, Will L. (Will Leach); Western Massachusetts A History 1636-1925; New York and Chicago: Lewis historical publishing company, inc., 1926

Search Military Records - Fold3

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top