Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his own team the whole distance, as he had done on the outward journey. On his second coming to Waterville he located upon the farm on East hill, known as the “Tobin place,” whence he removed, after a few years, to West hill, and tilled the farm now owned and occupied by Samuel Brown. During his long and useful life, which closed in 1865, at the age of eighty-four, he served his townsmen acceptably as a member of the legislature, and in other offices of trust and honor. His children were six sons and six daughters, of whom six are now living-Osgood and Eunice in Minnesota , Francis in Massachusetts , Nathan in Hyde Park, and Louisa and Moses in Waterville.