FREDERICK PACKARD, late of Brockton, was not only one of the best known men in the line of shoe manufacturing in that city but also one of its most honorable and respected citizens. He ranked among the city’s most successful business men, one whose start in life was obtained by his energy and push, and these traits, combined with excellent business acumen, had long secured for him a position of affluence, and caused the firm of which he had so long been the head to become one of the best known in its line in the country. Mr. Packard was
Location: Salem Massachusetts
For the ancestry of Charles Keith, please see Descendants of Rev. James Keith of Bridgewater, Massachusetts (VI) Charles Keith, son of Benjamin, was born Aug. 8, 1794, and married Dec. 8, 1817, Mehitable Perkins, born March 23, 1795, daughter of Josiah and Anna (Reynolds) Perkins, of North Bridgewater, both of whom were descendants of historic old New England families. To this union were born children as follows: Damaris Williams Keith, born Oct. 8, 1818, married Vinal Lyon, of North Bridgewater, where she died Charles Perkins Keith, born June 20, 1820, is mentioned below Anna Reynolds Keith, born Nov. 11, 1822,
By Act of Congress of March 2, 1819, Arkansas Territory was established July 4, embracing substantially all of what are now the states of Arkansas and Oklahoma; though the civil government of Arkansas Territory was limited to that section lying east of the Osage line, divided into counties, and embracing approximately the present state of Arkansas. That west of the Osage line was the Indian country, and in later years became known as Indian Territory. James Miller 1James Miller was born in Peterboro, N. H., April 25, 1776; entered the array as major in 1808, became Lieutenant-colonel in 1810, and
From 1890-1903, the Dedham Historical Society in Dedham Massachusetts printed a quarterly pamphlet for it’s historical society called the “Dedham Historical Register.” In this pamphlet a variety of genealogical data was published on families of Dedham and the villages emanating from the early residents of Dedham, such as Dorchester, Franklin, Medfield, Medway, Needham, and Sharon, etc.
The Lothrop family, of which the late Frederick Lothrop Ames was a descendant on his mother’s side, is an old family of Massachusetts. The name Lowthrop, Lothrop or Lathrop is derived from Lowthrope, a small parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, four and a half miles northeast from Great Driffield, and a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of York. The church there was an ancient institution, said to have been built about the time of Edward III., although there has been no institution to it since 1579.
Richard Bishop, of Salem was a husbandman. He married, first, before 1635, Dulzebella ____, who was born about 1607. She died in Salem 23 (24): 6: 1658; and he married, second, Mary Gould 22: 5: 1660. His wife Mary was born about 1611. He died in Salem 30: 10: 1674; and his widow Mary married Thomas Robbins March 11, 1674-5. Children: Mary Bishop, b. about 1635; m., first, probably, John Barnet (or Barbant) 18: 4: 1661; and, second, John Darling of Salem, fisherman, before 1680. She was living in 1686. Edward Bishop, baptized in Salem 23: 2: 1648. He was
Henry West Lot Col. John Hathorne conveyed this lot to Henry West of Salem May 19, 1699. 1Essex Registry of Deeds, hook 13, leaf 166. Mr. West died possessed of the lot in 1703, having devised it to his son Samuel West in his will, which, though well and strong, he made, “considering the many sudden deaths that are of late,” Feb. 3, 1700-1. The son Samuel built the house that subsequently occupied the site. John Higginson Lot Col. John Hathorne conveyed this lot to John Higginson, 3d, May 18, 1699. 2Essex Registry of Deeds, book 13, leaf 199. Mr.
Estate of George Corwin House, and Estate of George Corwin and Jonathan Corwin Lots. These three lots contained four acres, and were a pasture belonging to Rev. Hugh Peter, the pastor of the First church in Salem, and subsequently a regicide, early in the settlement, probably having been granted to him by the town. After his return to England, he conveyed this pasture, by his attorney, Charles Gott of Wenham, to Capt. George Corwin of Salem, merchant, July 1, 1659. 1Essex Registry of Deeds, book 1, leaf 60. Captain Corwin died Jan. 3, 1684-5, aged seventy-four. This pasture was divided
The house and lot of Mrs. Elizabeth Tawley was originally the estate of Dr. George Emery, an early surgeon of Salem. He was living in Salem in 1637, owned this land in 1652, and lived in this house as early as 1657. May 1, 1677, in consideration of good will, he conveyed the house and lot to his kinswoman Elizabeth Tawley and her husband John Tawley, a mariner, the conveyance being made upon the condition that they maintain him during the remainder of his life. 1Essex Registry of Deeds, book 4, leaf 156 John Tawley died in 1690, and his
Jonas Adams married Sarah Jefferds (both of Salem) (published July 5, 1729), and lived in Salem. His will was made Dec. 22, 1756; and proved May 16, 1757. He was a mariner, and after his death his widow conducted an inn. Her will was made March 20, 1780; and proved July 12, 1786. Children: Elizabeth Adams, baptized in First church Jan. 30, 1731-2 ; married Caleb Griffith of Salem April 24, 1755; and died before 1780. Sarah Adams, baptized in First church Jan. 30, 1731-2; d. young. Samuel Adams, baptized in First church March l0, 1733-4; and probably died before