Location: Hinsdale New Hampshire

Biographical Sketch of Amos Thomas

Daniel, Amos, Israel, and Nathan Thomas, sons of one of the early pioneers, all settled here themselves as pioneers. Nathan married Marion Coats, and settled as a farmer in the northern part of the town. His children were Nathan, Charles, Frederick, Gideon, Thankful, Eunice, Electa and Marion. Nathan Thomas, Jr., was born in Fort Hinsdale, and settled on the place where his son Franklin and Waldo Rouillard now reside. He married Abigail Butler, and had born to him ten children, only two of whom now reside in the town-Mrs. Ellen Tyler and Franklin. The latter, at the age of seventy-three

Biographical Sketch of Simeon Horton

Simeon Horton, born at Milton, Mass., in 1784, came to Hinsdale about 1816, and finally located a home on road 15, where his son’s widow, Mrs. Mary A.. now resides. Here he remained till his death in 186o, aged seventysix years. He was a prominent man in town affairs, held the offices of selectman and justice of the peace several terms, and was the father and leader of the temperance cause here. Of his three sons and three daughters, one son died in infancy, and the others all settled in the town, though only one is now living, Mrs. Ivory

Biography of Walter C. Stearns

Walter C. Stearns, born in Northfield, Mass., was one of the pioneer fathers of Hinsdale. He married Tryphenia, daughter of Makepeace Shattuck, and was blessed with a family of thirteen children. By dint of industry and frugality, as a farmer, he succeeded in comfortably raising his large family, allowing them fair educational advantages, only one of whom survives, via, Maria (Mrs. Worden), who resides on Canal street, in Hinsdale. Of his five sons, only two settled in town. John Stearns, who died at his home in Hinsdale, December 2, 1884, at the ripe age of eighty-three years, had been a

Biographical Sketch of Elihu Stebbins

Rowland Stebbins, born in 1594, came from Ipswich, Eng., on the Francis in 1634, landed at Roxbury, but probably went to the Connecticut River the following year with William Pynchon, the founder of the city of Springfield. Thence he moved to Northampton, about 1656, where he died, December 14, 1671. His wife died at Springfield, October 4, 1649, aged fifty-eight years. Elihu Stebbins, whose ancestors resided in Northfield, was a lineal descendant of Rowland. He was born in 1762, settled in Hinsdale, and married, March 24, 1786, Lucretia,. daughter of Eldad Wright, who was taken from him by death, December

Biographical Sketch of David Crowninshield

David Crowninshield, one of the pioneer settlers of Hinsdale, came from Rhode Island at a very early date and settled on road 7, where his grandson Samuel T. Crowninshield, now lives. His farm at first contained only enough cleared land to place his house and barns upon, and here he lived and labored until his death,, at the age of forty-eight years. He was the father of four children, viz.: Artemas, Philo, Leonard and Lydia. Artemas and Leonard settled on the homestead. Philo married and removed to Guilford, Vt., and Lydia (Mrs. Butler) now resides in Chesterfield. The only descendants

Biographical Sketch of Oliver Adams

Oliver Adams, born in Marlboro, Vt., April 3, 1769, married Lucy Miller, and came to Hinsdale. April 6, 1815, and located upon a farm on the Brattleboro road, where his grandson, William B., now lives. Here he remained the rest of his life. dying January 30, 1828, aged fifty-nine years. His wife survived him till November 17. 1334, aged sixty-nine years. They were the parents of eight children, one of whom, Oliver, retained the homestead by paying off the other heirs. He married first, Electa Elmore, who died August 19, 1.824, aged twenty-five years; and second, Fanny, daughter of Walter

Biographical Sketch of Ivah Newton

Ivah Newton, born in Phillipstown, Mass., came to Hinsdale when a young man, married Sally, daughter of Daniel Rugg, one of the pioneers of the town, and settled in the northeastern part, where Hosea Butler now lives. He was the father of seven children, only three of whom are now living. Albert G., eldest son of Ivah, married first Emily Ide, who was the mother of his nine children. For his second wife he married widow Ruth Wood, of Templeton, Mass. Mr. Newton finally settled on the farm his son Rawson H. now occupies. Here he passed the latter thirty

Biographical Sketch of Elijah Cooper

Elijah Cooper, who came to Hinsdale at an early day, married Sarah Sanger, April 4, 1777, and reared four children, as follows: Lucy, born November 5, 1777; Elijah, born November 26, 1782; Mary, born April g, 1785; Arad, born April 10, 1787; and Pearly, the date of whose birth we are unable to give. Mr. Cooper settled as a farmer upon the place Daniel Smith now occupies, where he reared his family, and finally died at the residence of his son Arad. Of the children, Lucy died unmarried; Mary married a Mr. Stearns, and went west; Elijah married and also

Biographical Sketch of Willard Martin

Willard Martin, born in Rehoboth, Mass., March 6, 1786, married Lucretia Houghton, in 1810, and died in Hinsdale, October 14, 1849. Mr. Martin was long known as one of the leading merchants of Guilford, Vt., where he was distinguished as one of the principal citizens, and for many years received almost the universal suffrage of the town as representative in the state legislature. Mrs. Martin died August 17, 1847. Dr. Oscar Martin, their eldest son, was born March 9, 1815. He married Susan George Sartle, November 27, 1839, and had born to him one child, which died in infancy. Mrs.

Biographical Sketch of Rev. Elisha Andrews

Rev. Elisha Andrews was born in Middletown, Conn., September 29, 1768, and married Wealthy, daughter of Thomas Lathrop, of Norwich, Conn. Mr. Andrews had no early education, except that afforded by the common schools, but became a fine scholar through his own exertions and without the aid of teachers, and was often sought by collegians for aid in the Greek and Hebrew languages. He was also a practical land surveyor. In 18×4 he came to Hinsdale, and preached in the “meeting house” built by the town, and which was afterwards converted into a woolen mill, and finally destroyed by fire.