I. The ancestor of the Daniel2 Wilson family came from Tyrone, Ireland, in 1737, with the famous Scotch Irish emigrants. These emigrants were a hardy, industrious, long-lived, honest and sturdy race of people. A great proportion of New Hampshire’s most distinguished sons are found among their descendants. One of these emigrants was James1 Wilson. The history of Peterborough gives his name as WILLIAM. Later researches favor JAMES, but we are not positively sure of the name. Nor do we know who was his wife. They brought with them from Ireland a son, Robert2, and a daughter, Lettuce2. In this country
Location: Harrisville New Hampshire
HARRISVILLE lies in the extreme eastern part of the county, in lat. 42° 57′ and long. 4° 59′, bounded north by Nelson and Hancock, the latter in Hillsboro county, east by Hancock and Peterboro, south by Dublin and west by Roxbury and a portion of Marlboro. This is the youngest township in the county, having been incorporated as late as July 2, 1870, its area being made up of territory taken from the southern part of Nelson and northern part of Dublin. The extreme length of the town, east and west, is nearly eight miles, and its greatest width, north
HARRISVILLE is a handsome post-village located in the central part of the town, about 1,300 feet above the ocean, thus being, probably, the most elevated ground in New England boasting such extensive manufacturing facilities. Up to 1830 the village went by the name of Twitchell’s Mills, but at that time it was given its present name by Milan Harris, in honor of his family. Aside from its manufactures, the village has ample mercantile facilities, one church (Congregational), postoffice, telegraph office, graded school, etc., and about one hundred dwellings and 500 inhabitants. The village formerly laid on the line between Nelson
Abner Smith, from Needham, Mass., came to Dublin, now Harrisville, soon after the Revolution, and lived here until his death, in 1833. His son, Aaron, was born in 1791, and died in 1840. During his life he was engaged in the manufacture of earthen ware, at Pottersville. Aaron, Jr., was born in 1822, and during his early life was engaged with his father in the pottery business. He was one of the selectmen thirteen years, town representative of Dublin seven years, and was county commissioner four years. He occupies the homestead, on road 32.
Rev. Elijah Willard came here from Fitchburg, Mass., and was pastor of the Baptist church until his death, in 1839. He preached at Pottersville for a period of forty years. During his life he united one hundred and forty-six couples in marriage, and preached a funeral sermon four weeks before his death. His son Levi was horn in 1795, and lived here till his death, in 1860. He married Irene Knight, of Sudbury, Mass., who still survives him, and reared a family of thirteen children. Seven of them, Zophar, Solon, Milton B., David, Benjamin, Mrs. C. H. Nye, and Mrs.
Asa Fisk came to what is now Harrisville, from Rutland, Mass., in 1800 or 1801, and settled on the farm where his grandson, Levi W., now lives, and died there in 1829. His son Parker, eight years of age when he came here with his father, reared six children, only three of whom lived to maturity, and occupied the home farm until his death, in October, 1866. Levi W. married May B. Priest, of Hancock, N. H., who died in 1863, and lives on the old homestead.
The Evangelical Congregational church of Harrisville was organized September 22, 1840, by a council composed of clergymen and delegates from the following towns: Swanzey, Troy, Antrim. New Ipswich. and Warwick, Mass., with thirty-one members, the first pastor being Rev. Otis C. Whiton. Their church building was erected in 1840-43, a brick structure capable of seating 350 persons, cost $4,000.00, and is now valued, including grounds, at $5,000.00. The society has fifty-one members, with Rev. George H. Dunlap, pastor. There have been added to the original thirty-one members 189 others, making a total of 220, of which 169 have been removed
The Baptist church and society, located at Pottersville, was organized by Elder Ballou and his son, Maturin, at the house of John Muzzey, December 7, 1785, with thirty members, the Rev. Maturin Ballou being the first pastor. In 1829 the church was re-organized and now has about seventy members. The church building was originally built in 1997, was re-modeled in 1830, and was removed and again re-modeled in 1844. It will seat 175 persons and is valued at $2,500.00. The Sabbath-school has sixty scholars, with C. Albert Seaver, superintendent.
Moses Adams came to what is now Harrisville, from Sherborn, Mass., in 1783 and died here in 1810. His son Moses was born in 1768, and lived here till his death. Moses, son of Moses, was born in 1785, reared a family of six children, and died in 1873. His son Charles W. is a builder in San Francisco, Cal., Frederick M. is a lawyer and stenographer in New York, and his two daughters, Eliza and Emily, reside on the old homestead.
William Barker came from Acton, Mass., and located in Nelson, in 1780. He was a soldier under General Washington, in the French and Indian war, and, with two of his sons, served in the Revolution, and was at the battle of Concord. His son Thaddeus, who came here with his father, had a family of eleven children, and died in 1843. His son Chauncey, the only child now living, was born in 1809, and has lived forty-six years on the place he now occupies. William Barker was town clerk and town representative for many years. Thaddeus also took an active