Levi Livermore Tucker, late superintendent and president of the Kansas Wesleyan Business College of Salina, devoted practically his entire life to the training of young men and women for business. Fully forty years were given to that profession, and few men accomplished a more satisfying aggregate of results in this field than Professor Tucker. He was of New England birth and ancestry. The farm in Orange County, Vermont, where he was born December 10, 1853, was also the birthplace of his father, Levi Livermore Tucker, Sr., and the house that thus served as a birthplace to these two generations was
Location: Alliance Ohio
Curtis L. Harris has been a practicing attorney at El Dorado for the past thirty years and during that time had been identified with the business and political movements which have made Butler County prominent. Mr. Harris was reared near Alliance, Ohio. at which place he attended school and was graduated in 1883 from Mount Union Gollege. He began the study of law in the office of Hon. David Fording at Alliance, and was admitted to practice in Butler County, Kansas, in 1887, after completing the then usual course in the law office of Judge C. A. Leland, with whom
The rapid development of all material resources during the closing years of the nineteenth century has brought business enterprises up from the day of small things to gigantic proportions, where millions of dollars take the place of hundreds and where men are required to handle millions as coolly, as carefully and as successfully as their grandfathers handled hundreds. All the history of the world shows that to grapple with all new conditions, to fill breaches in all great crises men have been developed and have stood ready to assume new and great responsibilities and have discharged them well and profitably.
Freshwater, Milton; paving contractor; born, West Virginia, Sept. 11, 1877; son of E. A. and Clarenda Campbell Freshwater; educated in commercial course at Morgantown, W. Va.; married, Johnstown, Pa., Dec. 31, 1907, Miss C. B. Williams; two children; has worked at the street-paving business since 1893; completing street paving in the following places; Johnstown and Freeport, Pa., Chester, W. Va., Alliance, Richwood, Ada and Cleveland, Ohio; since April, 1909; the paving contracts are man-aged by three members of the firm, while Mr. E. A. Freshwater takes no part in this branch of the business; the firm consists of E. A.
Henry H. Miller, M. D. Although the well directed labor of Dr. Henry H. Miller belongs to the past rather than present of Rossville, innumerable evidences abound of his sojourn in the community, and particularly of his diligence in proteeting and preserving the health and sanitation of his adopted place. For forty-four years he was a prominent resident of Rossville, and during that time won his way into the confidence and respect of the people not alone as a medical adviser and kind friend, but as a contributor to all that made for their welfare and a supporter of the
Edward Buckman. A few years ago Edward Buckman retired from his farm in Shawnee County, where he had spent the most profitable years of his life, and is now living retired at his home 1516 Guthrie Street in Topeka. The Buckman family has played a very worthy part in developing the lands of Kansas since pioneer times, and Mr. Edward Buckman has also found opportunity at different times to exercise his influence for good in local affairs. He was born on a farm in Columbiana County, Ohio, June 26, 1853, one of the four children born to Thomas and Susan
Bomgardner, Joseph; mfr.; born, Wilmot, O., 1855; son of B. F. and Harriet Putnam Bomgardner; educated, grade school, Winfield, O., Commercial School, Painesville, O., Literary Course Mount Union College, Alliance, O.; married, Winfield, O., Oct. 24, 1878, Kizzie Olis; 4 children; no military record, and takes very little interest in politics; worked on his fathers’ farm until he was 21; salesman on the road for 30 years; in the meantime, in-vented a number of patent articles and is now engaged in the manufacture of a number of them; namely, elevators, invalid chairs, and beds, etc.; member advisory board, Colonial Savings
Excell, Matthew B.; attorney; born, July 13, 1869, Jackson, Mich.; son of John Wesley and Emily Tayler Excell; educated, Cleveland public schools and Central High School, graduated Mt. Union College, 1888, Ph. B., 1891; married, Oct. 3, 1894, Maud M. Amerman of Alliance, O.; one son, Allen J., born May 14, 1896; while at college wrote for the Alliance Leader, later became its editor; in 1892, was elected mayor of Alliance; studied law, was admitted to the bar, and came to Cleveland in 1894; asst. director of law for the city, 1899-1901; Democrat; has served as pres. of the Board
Ewing, Harrison W.; attorney-at-law; born, Milton, Mahoning County, O., July 26, 1874; son of Harrison J. and M. Patterson Ewing; educated, Cleveland Central High School, 1892, Adelbert College, 1893 and 1894, special St. Louis Law School, Washington University, 1896, Law School, Western Reserve University, 1897-1899, LL. B., 1899; married, Cleveland, June 27, 1903, Elmyra C. Lucas; one daughter, Marjorie Gaile Ewing, born June, 1905; admitted to the bar, June, 1899; law firm H. J. & H. W. Ewing, 1899-1903; Ewing, Neiding & Kramer, 1905-1909; Ewing, Kramer & Counts, 1909-1912; Dawley, Ewing, Counts & Terrell, 1912 to date; director Hanna Moving
McIntosh, Henry Payne; banker; born, Cleveland, Oct. 27, 1846; son of Alexander and Agnes Nicol McIntosh; educated, Cleveland public schools; married, Jan. 19, 1871, Olive Manfull; issue, three sons and three daughters: 1860 to 1868, employ of the Cleveland & Erie R. R. Co., in telegraph department; chief operator at time of resignation; 1868, bookkeeper for E. Teeters & Sons, hankers. Alliance. O.; also with Alliance & Lake Erie R. R. Co., as sec’y, spending about twelve years in Alliance; 1876, returned to Cleveland. to assume charge of the business interests of Hon. Henry B. Payne; 1901, resigned, to become