FRANKLIN M. CHESNUT. Among the names of the first settlers in the vicinity of Elkton, is that of John Chesnut, who came from South Carolina in 1810, and settled in 1812 in Todd County, on the farm now owned and occupied by Frank M. He had a family of eight children, including five sons, among whom was John Chesnut, the father of Franklin M. He was born July 25, 1796, in South Carolina; came to Kentucky with the family, and here in Todd County married Miss Maburn, who died after bearing him three children, viz.: Jane, Mary E., who married J. Duncan, and A. W. Chesnut. The first two are dead; the last named now resides near Paducah, Ky. John Chesnut next married. Miss Ruth Vance, a native of Todd County, and daughter of John Vance, of North Carolina. As the result of this union eight children were born: John W., who died in Ballard County, Ky.; James A., Samuel Massena; who died in 1865, in early manhood; Franklin M., Martin Luther, of Paducah, Ky., married to Miss Laura Beaty; Underwood P., married Miss Ollie Morrison, and died leaving four children: Sarah Ellen, wife of Robert Coleman, and Margaret Jane (deceased), was the wife of Capt. Charles Connor, of Tennessee. Mrs. Ruth (Vance) Chesnut died at the old homestead January 1, 1873, and her husband, John Chesnut, at the same place just two weeks subsequently. They were members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, in the faith of which they were peacefully gathered to their fathers. Frank M., whose name introduces this sketch, was born on the farm where he now lives, on the 23d day of February, 1845; there grew to manhood, meantime receiving a common-school education. He was married October 6, 1870, to Miss Josephine, daughter of Capt. Samuel W. and Lucy (Diuguid) Drake. Josephine was born near the city of Richmond, Va., and her parents are now residents of Jefferson County, Ky. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Chesnut has been blessed with four children, viz.: Lula Ruth, Walter F., Samuel W. and John Elgin Chesnut. Mr. Chesnut is a practical, progressive farmer, and owns a farm of 212 acres of improved land, including the old home-stead. He is an honored Elder of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and his wife is a faithful member of the Baptist Church.