W. M. Chambers, M. D., physician and surgeon, Charleston, was born in Cynthiana, Ky., April 11, 1814; he is a son of James and Sally Chambers, both natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in Kentucky in 1810. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812; in 1850, his parents removed to Charleston, where his mother died in 1855, and his father in 1873. Dr. Chambers began the study of medicine in his native town in 1833, and, in 1836, began practice in Harrison Co.; he graduated in 1843 from the Medical Department of Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky. In 1846, he removes to Covington, Ky., where he practiced medicine until his removal to Coles Co. in 1855. In October, 1861, he was appointed, by President Lincoln, Brigade Surgeon in the Union army, and served in the army of the Cumberland till July, 1865; he was twice brevetted -first, as Lieutenant Colonel, and then as Colonel, for meritorious services, for the excellence of his reports and his superior management of hospitals. Dr. Chambers has been President of the Kentucky State Medical Society, of the Illinois State Medical Society, and of the Æsculapian Society of the Wabash Valley. He has held important positions in the American Medical Association, and has been a member of the Health Association of the United States; he has abandoned the ordinary country practice, and now confines himself to consultation, town and surgical practice. He was married, first, in February, 1838, to Miss C. Ann Rebecca Porter, of Harrison Co., Ky.; she died in 1840, leaving one son-Charles S. Chambers, of Princeton, Ky. Dr. Chambers, in 1846, married Miss Mary Bryan Fields Ingels, of Kentucky, a lineal descendant of Daniel Boone; she died Dec. 30, 1876, leaving two children – Mollie M. S. (wife of Dr. C. A. Peyton, of Charleston), and T. Gavin Smith Chambers, now a student in Asbury Institute, Greencastle, Ind.