J. S. Mason, M. D., who was graduated in medicine over twenty years ago, has found his time and abilities more and more taxed as a. competent physician and surgeon, and in that field he ranks among the foremost in his section of the state. Doctor Mason is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, an honor conferred only upon surgeons of distinctive rank and attainment.
He was born at Newark, Ohio, May 22, 1868, a son of Jacob W. and Elizabeth (Smith) Mason, both natives of Ohio. His father came to Vermilion County, Illinois, in 1881 and followed farming his entire active career. There were six children: J. Smith, a lumber dealer and hardware merchant at Oakwood, Illinois; Frank M., a physician practicing at Rossville, Illinois; Dr. J. S. Mason; Leora, living at home and a school teacher; Archie R.; and Etta Florence, at home with her parents.
Doctor Mason grew up on a farm, attended country schools, and when about eighteen years of age began teaching in the country. This vocation he followed five years and in the meantime took special courses in a Normal school and acquired a first grade teacher’s certificate. It was through his individual earnings that he paid his way until graduation from medical school. He took up the study of medicine privately, and afterwards entered the Northwestern University School of Medicine at Chicago, where he was graduated M. D. in April, 1894. Doctor Mason practiced five years at Penfield, Illinois, and about six years at Rantoul, but since 1906 has been located with residence and office in Urbana.
Doctor Mason formerly served as Champaign County Medical Society’s president and is now president of the Twin City Clinical Medical Society. He is a Mason, Knight of Pythias, Elk, a Democrat in politics and a member of the Baptist Church.
February 16, 1897, he married Lena O. Warner, daughter of Ed. B. Warner. They have four children: James Bryant, Edward William, Elizabeth and Robert Stephen.