AVETON GIFFORD is a neat village, pleasantly situated in the picturesque valley of the river Aven, 3½ miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, and S.E. of Modbury. Its parish contains 1057 souls, and 3952A. 2R. 39P. of fertile land, including the small hamlets of Ashford, Lixton, Waterhead, and many scattered houses. The river is crossed by a good bridge, and is navigable for barges, and has a salmon fishery belonging to Mr. Bastard and Mr. Lowe. The manor was anciently held by the Giffards or Giffords, and afterwards passed to the Dynham, Prous, Mules, Damarell, and Berry families. It now belongs to E. R. P. Bastard, Esq. : but here is a small manor called Heathfield, belonging to P. Hyne, Esq., and the Barton estate belongs to J. M. Woollcombe, Esq. Part of this parish belongs to several smaller owners. A market and two fairs were granted to the lord of the manor in 1289, but they have been obsolete some centuries. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large cruciform structure, in the early English style of the time of Henry III. Its tower contains six bells, and is crowned by a lofty circular turret. It is one of the finest and oldest churches in South Devon, and the interior would have a very handsome appearance if the mouldings, columns, capitals, &c., were cleansed of their many coats of whitewash. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £38. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £662, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W. P. Pitman, M.A. who has 97A. 1R. 38P. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1849, and having tasteful grounds. The Baptists, Wesleyans and Bible Christians, have small chapels here. There are 2A. of land, and several tenements and rent-charges, given by Peter Bateman and others, in the reign of Elizabeth, for the repairs of the church, and now producing £6. 8s. 10d. per annum, exclusive of fines. The poor have 8s. 4d. yearly, left by Mary Magdelene and John Elliott, and the interest of £20, left by John Horswell in 1711, and vested with the churchwardens in 1784.