Bean, Obediah Roberts – Obituary

Proved Fatal. The accident which happened to Mr. O. R. Bean at Acme, Tuesday, March 11 [1890], an account of which was published in last week’s GUARD, was attended with a fatal result He never regained consciousness after the accident [died March 15, 1890]. O. R. Bean was born in Liberty, Missouri, February 2, 1830.

He came to California in 1849, being attracted by the reports of the finding of gold, and remained there until 1852 when he came to Oregon. In 1853 in Yamhill he married Miss Julia A. Sharp who survives him. In 1855 he came to Lane county and settled on the prairie west of Irving, removing afterwards to a farm on the river road three miles south of Junction. In 1878 he bought the farm adjoining Eugene now owned by S. P. Sladden and resided there until about four years ago when he removed to Seaton on the Siuslaw. His family was a large one consisting of eight sons and two daughters. The funeral took place at Point Terrace March 16th. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity holding his membership in the Junction lodge. He was a county commissioner of Lane county from 1878 to 1880.

Mr. Bean was a genial, kind-hearted man and had many noble qualities that made friends of those with whom he came in contact. He was unassuming in his manners and conduct, and did not esteem labor derogatory to the standing of a man. Of late years, through an unfortunate combination of circumstances, he had not prospered financially although from no fault of his own, but with indomitable energy, at 60 years of age, he was winning back his former prosperity, when the unfortunate accident caused his death. Eugene City Guard, Saturday, March 29, 1890

Additional Information: An Accident–The many friends of Mr. O. R. Bean will regret to learn that he met with an accident at Acme Tuesday of last week that has proved or may prove fatal He had been to Florence and was returning to his home at Head of Tide on the steamer Mink. The steamer stopped at Acme and while he was going up stairs from the wharf his head struck a beam that projected near the head of the stairs, and he fell backward a distance of 12 feet sustaining severe internal injuries, and it is supposed a concussion to the brain. He was picked up unconscious and medical aid and his family summoned to his bedside. A gentleman from Florence informed us that up to Friday noon after the accident he had not regained consciousness, and his death was expected at any time. As communication between here and Florence is very slow on account of the road being washed out no further news has been received in regard to his condition. It is hoped that the injury has not proved fatal, and that Mr. Bean has recovered from the accident. Eugene City Guard, Saturday, March 22, 1890, page 5.

Contributed by: Shelli Steedman



Collection: United States Obituaries.

Search Military Records - Fold3

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top