Albert E. “Shorty” Shaw, 68, Westside farmer and former owner of the Consolidated Creamery, and a resident of this valley since 1883, died here this morning [July 18, 1931].
Tuesday he had a leg amputated, two weeks after it was injured by a chain tied to a 15-months’ old bull calf which caught in his leg and dragged him a ways. It was thought at the time of the operation that he would recover but his passing came as a shock to his friends today.
He was born in Handsport, Nova Scotia in 1863 and came to Ellensburg in 1883 and in 1891 he married Eva Olding, who survives him as his widow. He is also survived by one son, J. A. Shaw, a Westside farmer and a grandson, Howard.
He is survived by three brothers, Mark, Lamont, and Joseph, all residing in Massachusetts and two sisters, Mrs. Harding Porter of Halifax, Nova Scotia and Esther Shaw, Handsport, Nova Scotia, and a cousin, S. P. Shaw, Seattle.
He was manager of the predecessor to the KCDA, known as the Alberta Creamery, for a period of 25 years. Previous to joining the creamery he was a car inspector for the Northern Pacific railroad here and in 1894 he took up farming on the Westside.
On February 16, 1903, a group of farmers of the Nanum district organized the Alberta Creamery. This was a true cooperative concern, all of the stock being owned by its members and the business conducted on a basis similar to that of the present day cooperatives.
At the organization meeting held on the date above, J. E. Burke, was temporary chairman and A. E. Shaw was chairman of the organization committee. Shaw was elected a trustee. In 1903 the capital stock of the creamery was increased from $2,500 to $4,000. On January 12, 1904, Manager Charles Bull resigned and A. E. Shaw was elected secretary-manager, a position he held for the Alberta Creamery during the balance of his life, during the life of the Consolidated, and for the Kittitas County Dairymen’s association up until July 1, 1926, a period of over 23 years.
In 1922 Mr. Shaw decided to retire from business. This matter was discussed with his board and it was decided to dispose of the business. Shaw consented to act as manager until July 1, 1926, when he retired and his place was filled by the appointment of Dan C. Bates an employee of the plant of many years standing. Mr. Bates is the present manager.
While at the head of the creamery, Shaw aided the farmers in many ways and was a true friend in time of financial difficulty. The early years of his life was spent in following the sea with his brother who was a sea captain. He worked on the Northern Pacific until 1894 when he took up farming on the east side a few years before going into the creamery.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced. [IOOF Cemetery]
Contributed by: Shelli Steedman