Charles Henry Nye, of Hyannis, Barnstable Co., Mass., is a direct descendant of Benjamin Nye, of Sandwich, Mass., the first of the line in this country, and is related to several of the old families of this region.
The Mortons of East Freetown, Bristol Co., Mass., formerly quite numerous in that vicinity, but not now represented by many of the name, are the posterity of Maj. Nathaniel Morton and descendants of the eminent George Morton.
George Morton, born about 1585, at Austerfield, Yorkshire, England, came to New England in the ship “Ann” in 1623. He had married in Leyden, in 1612, Juliana Carpenter, daughter of Alexander Carpenter, of Wrentham, England. He is said to have served the Pilgrims in important relations before coming to this country, and published in England in 1621 the first history of the Colony, which was entitled “A Relation or Journal of the Beginning and Proceedings of the English Plantation settled at Plymouth in New England.” It is commonly known as “Mourt’s Relation.” He died in 1624.
Nye (New Bedford family). The family of this name in New Bedford, the head of which was the Hon. Willard Nye (deceased), one of the successful business men and substantial citizens of the city, prominent in public affairs, at one time mayor, is a branch of the ancient Nye family of Sandwich, Mass., where members in the line of the deceased just alluded to were long prominent. A sketch of Mr. Nye, with his Nye lineage, traced back to the immigrant settler, follows.
A glance at the map of the western part of Washington County will show that any treatment of the early settlement upon the Narraguagus River, necessarily involves more or less of the histories of Steuben, Milbridge, Harrington and Cherryfield. Steuben was formerly township “No. 4, East of Union River,” and No. 5 comprised the territory now included in the towns of Milbridge and Harrington. The town of Cherryfield is composed of No. 11, Middle Division, Brigham Purchase, and of the northeastern part of what was formerly Steuben. All that part of Cherryfield lying south of the mills on the first
The Northern Maine, its Points of Interest and its Representative Business Men manuscript provides historical sketches of the nine towns featured within it’s embrace, as well as biographical sketches of the businesses and the men and women who owned and ran those businesses found within the towns of Houlton, Presque Isle, Caribou, Ft. Fairfield, Danforth, Lincoln, Mattawamkeag, Winn, and Kingman.
Sir Charles Tupper, Minister of Railways and Canals, and member of Parliament for Cumberland, Nova Scotia, is descended from a family originally from Hesse Cassel, and which settled on the isle of Guernsey, going thence to Virginia, long prior to the outbreak of the American colonies. At the close of that war the family being loyalists, moved to Nova Scotia, where members of it continue to reside. It is connected with Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, K.B., who fell, bravely fighting, at Queenston, in October 1812. Our subject was born at Amherst, county of Cumberland, N.S., on the 2nd of July
TUPPER, ALMON P., was born in Middlebury, Addison county, Vt., April 24, 1825 ; the third in a family of four children, and the only son of Norman and Mary (Horton) Tupper. Darius Tupper, his grandfather, was born in Connecticut, moved from that State and first settled in the town of Chartotte, Chittenden county, Vt., and in the winter of 1704-95 moved to the town of Middlebury, where he built a tavern at the intersection of the present turnpike-road with the “old road,” leading from East Middlebury to Middlebury Village. This tavern was kept by him until his death, in