Hiram Charlton took on the publication of the Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont for Lewis Publishing. In it, he enlisted the assistance of living residents of the state in providing biographical and genealogical details about their family, and then he published all 1104 family histories in two distinct volumes.
Jonathan Lord, Jr., and David Lord, the first of the name to locate in Norwich, came from Colchester, Connecticut, (in what year is not definitely known, probably about 1773). They were two of several children born to Jonathan and Ruth Lord of that place. Jonathan, Jr., was born February 17, 1752; was a voter in Norwich in 1784. He married, in October, 1782, Mary Smith, and their children were: Porter Lord. Russell Lord. John Lord. Polly Lord. Lydia Lord. John Proctor Lord Rachel Lord. Mr. Lord died at Norwich February 27, 1821. David Lord was born at Colchester August 4,
A Narrative of the captivity of Nehemiah How, who was taken by the Indians at the Great Meadow Fort above Fort Dummer, where he was an inhabitant, October 11th, 1745. Giving an account of what he met with in his traveling to Canada, and while he was in prison there. Together with an account of Mr. How’s death at Canada. Exceedingly valuable for the many items of exact intelligence therein recorded, relative to so many of the present inhabitants of New England, through those friends who endured the hardships of captivity in the mountain deserts and the damps of loathsome prisons. Had the author lived to have returned, and published his narrative himself, he doubtless would have made it far more valuable, but he was cut off while a prisoner, by the prison fever, in the fifty-fifth year of his age, after a captivity of one year, seven months, and fifteen days. He died May 25th, 1747, in the hospital at Quebec, after a sickness of about ten days. He was a husband and father, and greatly beloved by all who knew him.
Hon. George Ashby Cummings, ex-Mayor of Concord and formerly a member of the State Senate, was born in Acworth, June 13, 1833, son of Alvah and Polly (Grout) Cummings. His father was a native of Sullivan, and his mother was born in Acworth. He was educated in the public schools of South Acworth. At the age of twenty years he engaged in the marble business in Franklin, N.H., where he remained until 1861. He then moved to Concord, where he has prosperously carried on the same business. His reputation is that of an able, energetic business man. He was a
I. Cummings, dealer in groceries and provisions, was born in N.Y., in 1844; removed to Fremont County, Ia., in 1855; thence to Chicago, Ill., in 1871, where he remained five years, and located in Onawa, Ia., in 1877. In 1881, engaged in the present business, by buying out J.R. Thruston.
Dr. Silas Cummings, son of Thaddeus, was born in Fitzwilliam, October 7, 1803. He studied medicine and received his diploma from Dartmouth college. He began practice in this town about 1826 or 1827, where he continued until his death, June 30, 1882. He was superintendent of schools for many years, and as such labored hard and effectively to elevate the plane of public education. Although a Democrat in a strongly Republican town, he so endeared himself to his townsmen that he was chosen town representative. He was chosen one of a committee to prepare a history of the town, but
James Scott Cummings, M. D. A former president of the State Board of Health, a member of the Legislature, and otherwise prominent in local and state affairs, Doctor Cummings is a pioneer physician of Bronson in Bourbon County, and both through his profession and as a citizen he had found many ways in which to make his career count for benefit to his community. Doctor Cummings represents a pioneer family in Southeastern Kansas. He was born in Parke County, Indiana, June 8, 1851. His Cummings ancestors were emigrants from the North of Ireland to Virginia in colonial times. Doctor Cummings
Elgin, Union County, Oregon Albert Cummings, age 68 years, 6 months and 22 days, passed on April 24 at Central Point, Oregon. He came to Eastern Oregon and settled at Elgin in 1891. Two years later he moved to Union where he made his home for 20 years before going to Southern Oregon. He is survived by four sons and one daughter-John r. and Albert L. of Huntington, Oregon; Gaston G. of Central Point, Oregon; Austin, the Dalles, Lottie, Sacramento, California. The body was at the Bohnenkamp Chapel in La Grande Thursday. Interment in the Summerville cemetery where graveside services
Engineman, 2nd Class, U. S. N., R. F.; of Halifax County; son of W. G. and Mrs. Jiddia Cummings. Entered service June 28, 1918, at Rosemary, N.C. Sent to Cherrystone Island. Transferred to Norfolk, Va. Promoted to rank of Enginman, 2nd Class, July 28, 1918. On U. S. S. West Coast, March 7, 1918, until July 12, 1918, at Naval Station New Orleans 26 days. Made one trip across. Mustered out at Hampton Roads, Aug. 5, 1919.
JOHN B. CUMMINGS, of Pittsfield, in legal circles in Western Massachusetts, holds a prominent position and with wide experience in various affairs added to large natural ability, he has risen to noteworthy rank in his profession. Mr. Cummings’ public service has given his name more than passing significance to the city, county and State, and he is one of the outstanding men of the day in Pittsfield. He is a son of Peter and Julia (Reagan) Cummings, both now deceased, his father a blacksmith by occupation. John B. Cummings was bow in Pittsfield February 17, 1878. His education was begun