Bentleysville was a rural community of three hundred persons in southwestern Pennsylvania in 1868. It had grown around a mill that Sheshbazzar Bentley Junior and Senior operated on the southern branch of Pigeon Creek. Its history is short because as a country village it existed less than a century. The events are substantially in chronological order, beginning with the settlers over the mountains in 1750 and ending after the Centennial in 1916.
Levi Crouch, dealer in groceries, is a native of Mo.; moved to Mills County, Ia., in 1851; thence to Harrison County in 1867. He engaged in his present business in 1878.
1st Class Seaman, Navy; of Burke County; son of W. P. and Mary Crouch. Entered service June 2, 1918, at Morganton, N.C. Sent to St. Helena, Va. Sent to U. S. S. “Naiwa;” transferred U. S. S. “Powhatan,” made two trips overseas. Mustered out at Naval Base, Hampton Roads, Sept. 15, 1919.