William Wilson, the pioneer ancestor of this family, emigrated from Stewardstown, County of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1732, when 19 years of age. The Town of Stewardstown is in the parish of Donagheny in the province of Ulster and eighty-two miles northwest of Dublin, long noted for its very superior linen cloth.
Luedders’ historical and pictorial city directory of Angola, Indiana for the year 1923, containing an historical compilation of items of local interest, a complete canvass of names in the city, which includes every member of the family, college students, families on rural lines, directory of officers of county, city, lodges, churches, societies, a directory of streets, and a classified business directory.
Prior to the year 1800, Methodism had scarcely gained a foothold in Vermont. The first Methodist society in the State is said to have been formed at Vershire by Nicholas Suethen in 1796. Two years later, only one hundred church members were returned as residents in the Vershire Circuit, then including the whole of eastern Vermont. Zadock Thompson, in the first edition of his Gazetteer of Vermont, published in 1824, gives the number of preachers, traveling and local, at that time as about one hundred, and the number of societies much greater. Probably no religious body ever made so rapid
1842, October 11. Treaty with the Confederated tribes of Sauk and Fox at the agency of the Sauk and Fox Indians in the Territory of Iowa. Schedule of debts annexed. Resolution of Senate, February 15, 1843. Ratification of President, March 23, 1843. The confederated tribes of Sacs and Foxes cede to the U. S. all the lands W. of the Mississippi river to which they have any claim or title. The Indians reserve a right to occupy for three years from the signing of this treaty all that part of the land above ceded which lies W. of a line running due N. and S. from the painted or red rocks on the White Breast fork of the Des Moines river, which rocks will be found about 8 miles in a straight line from the junction of the White Breast with the Des Moines. Upon ratification of this treaty the U. S. agree to assign a tract of land suitable and convenient for Indian purposes to the Sacs and Foxes for a permanent home for them and their descendants, which tract shall be upon the Missouri river or some of its waters.
John Charlton, member of Parliament from Norfolk, is a descendant from the Chadtons of Northumberland, England, whence his father, Adam Charlton, immigrated to the United States, in 1824, settling at Caledonia, Livingston County, N. Y., and engaging in teaching and storekeeping. There the son was born, February 3, 1829, the maiden name of his mother being Ann Gray, a native of the Empire State. In the infancy of John, the family removed to Ellicottville, Cattarangas County, same state, where Adam Charlton was employed by the Holland Land Company; its lands, known as the “Holland Purchase,” once embracing most of Western
Adam Charlton, was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, February 19,1806. At the age of eighteen he was sent by his father to America to report whether the prospects would warrant the family in removing to that country. He left England, April 4, 1824, and arrived at New York after a stormy passage of sixty days. His father and the family came the following year. He was married to Miss Ann Gray of Caledonia, N. Y., 1828. For some time he had charge of a store at Garbuttsville, and then at Mamfordsville, N. Y. In July, 1832, he removed to
Judge J. R. Charlton, district judge of the thirtieth judicial district of Oklahoma and one of the most distinguished citizens of Washington County, his residence being at Bartlesville, was born in Salem, Marion County, Illinois, July 21, 1858, his parents being W. J. and Elizabeth Ann (Huff) Charlton, the latter a daughter of Samuel A. Huff, who in 1873 removed to Kansas and secured a government claim near Sedan, where his remaining days were passed. The grandfather in the paternal line was Isaac Bradbury Charlton, who was a native of Virginia, whence he removed to Tennessee in 1820. In that
Mrs. Wm. Taylor, early pioneer of Kittatas, passes. One of the oldest living settlers here, dies Sunday first teacher. Crossed Plains Oxteam, fought Indians, was still active . Mrs. William Taylor, 75, joined the band of Kittitas county’s vanishing pioneers in mid-afternoon Sunday [October 1, 1933], succumbing to a month’s illness. Mrs. Taylor, despite her advanced age was in rugged health and quite active until she became ill the first of last month. Her passing takes from the ranks of the valley pioneers another of the earliest settlers. Mary Grewell was a true product of the West, crossing the plains
Naomi H. Charlton, 76, Rt. 5, Ellensburg, died Wednesday [November 3, 1982] at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. She was born in Heartland, Wash., on Jan. 15, 1906. She graduated from Ellensburg Normal School in 1928 and taught school for 2 years at Heartland. She and Glenn Charlton were married in Heartland on May 18, 1930. They came to the Kittitas Valley from LaGrande, Ore., in 1953. Mr. Charlton died July 2, 1961. Mrs. Charlton was a member of the First Methodist Church and the Order of Eastern Star, Grace Chapter No. 5, and worked with the Salvation Army while living
Max E. Charlton, 74, a native Fairview District rancher, died Friday [February 4, 1977]. Born Aug. 27, 1902 in Ellensburg, he was a graduate of Ellensburg High School and attended Washington State University. He married Loila Schnebly April 9, 1933 in Ellensburg and then began farming in the Fairview District. He was a member of the First Christian Church and past member of the Fairview Grange, Farm Bureau and Kittitas County Cattlemen’s Association. He was the son of the late George and Maude Charlton. He is survived by his wife, Loila; two sons, Dave Charlton, of Ellensburg; and Paul Charlton,