A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Catawaweshink. A former village, probably of the Delawares, on or near Susquehanna r., near Big Island, Pa. Post (1758) in Kauffman, West. Pa., app., 96, 1851.
Catawissa. Probably a Conoy village, as Conyngham (Day, Perm., 243, 1843) says the Conoy “had a wigwam on the Catawese at Catawese, now Catawissa.” in Columbia co. , Pa. The name is probably derived from Piscatawese, a later designation for the Conoy.
Catfish Village. A former settlement, probably of the Delawares, on Cattish run, a short distance N. of the site of Washington, Washington co., Pa.; so called, according to Day (Penn., 666, 1843), from a half-blood who settled there about the middle of the 18th century. See Royce in 18th Rep. B. A. E., pi. clx 1900.
Cepowig. A village in 1608, perhaps be longing to the Conestoga, located by Guss in or near York co., Pa. Smith (1629), Va., i, map, 1819.
Chinklacamoose (possibly Chingua-kla-kamoos, large laughing moose. Hewitt). A village, perhaps belonging to the Delawares, on the site of Clearfield, Clearfield co., Pa., before 1805. It probably took its name from a chief. The Seneca of Cornplanter’s village also frequented the neighborhood.
Clistowacka. A Delaware village formerly near Bethlehem, Pa. Loskiel (1742) in Day, Perm., 517, 1843.
Conejoholo ( a kettle on a long upright object, Hewitt). A Conoy village, identical with the Dekanoagah of Evans, which Day locates on the E. bank of the Susquehanna, on or near the site of Bainbridge, Lancaster co., Pa. The Conoy removed to Conejoholo from their former home on the Potomac about 1700 and again removed farther up the Susquehanna before 1743. (J. M.)
Conemaugh. There seems formerly to have been a Delaware (?) village of this name about the present Conemaugh, on Kiskiminetas r., Cambria co., Pa.
Connewango (at the falls). (1) A Seneca village that stood on the site of Warren, Pa., and was destroyed by Col. Brodhead in 1781. (2) A former Seneca village on the left bank of Alleghany r. , above the site of Tionesta, Forest co. , Pa. Both villages belonged to the division of the Seneca known as Cornplanter’s band.
Conoytown. A Conoy village formerly on Susquehanna r. in “Pennsylvania, between Conejoholo (Bainbridge) and Shamokin (Sunbury). In 1744 the Conoy abandoned it after but a short stay there and removed to the last named place. Brinton, Lenape Leg., 29, 1885.
Cussewago. A village of the Seneca and of remnants of other wandering tribes, situated in 1750 where Ft Le Boeuf was afterward built, on the site of the present Waterford, Erie co., Pa.
Custaloga’s Town. The Delawares had two villages, each known as Custaloga’s Town, from the name of its chief, probably one and the same person. The first village was near French cr., opposite Franklin, Venango co., Pa., in 1760; the other was on Walhonding r., near Killbucks cr., in Coshocton co., Ohio, in 1766. The chief of this second village was chief of the Unalachtigo Delawares, and had probably removed from the first village about 1763. The name is also written Costeloga, Custalaga, Custologa, Custologo, Kustaloga. (J. M.)