The following directories represent a large collection of New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina directories covering the years of 1911-1963 (not inclusive). These 10 volumes may provide the researcher with valuable data on their New Bern ancestors such as specific address, occupation, business name. As we can we will supplement this list of ours with additional directories as we find them online.
A city directory is usually broken up into several useful parts. The genealogist naturally gravitates toward the alphabetical listing of names, since our interest lies primarily in that section. Most of these directories are heavily abbreviated, if you find an abbreviation you are unsure of, refer to the list of abbreviations found within each volume.
Some city directories list adult children who lived with their parents but were working or going to school. Look for persons of the same surname residing at the same address. If analyzed and interpreted properly, these annual directories can tell you (by implication) which children belong to which household, when they married and started families of their own, and when they established themselves in business. In cases where specific occupation is given, you can search records pertinent to that occupation.
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1911-1912
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1914-1915
- Official New Bern City Directory 1916-1917
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1920-1921
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1926
- Baldwin’s New Bern City Directory 1937
- Miller’s New Bern City Directory 1947-1948
- Miller’s New Bern City Directory 1951-1952
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1961
- Hill’s New Bern City Directory 1962-1963