John McDowell, believed to be a descendant of Ephraim McDowell, came to Yates county, New York, from New Jersey, in 1795, and settled in the town of Jerusalem on the west branch of Keuka Lake. He bought land of John Greig, agent of the Hornby estate, and lost a large part of it in the re-survey of the line of Steuben county, throwing most of his farm into Ontario county, instead of Steuben, where it had been located first. He left there in 1803 and lived for a time at the foot of Keuka Lake, where he was employed by Abraham Wagener. After living there about six years he settled on a farm later owned by James M. Lewis, where he died in 1814. Children: William, mentioned elsewhere; Sarah, married David Hall; Esther, married Wallace Finch who lived near David Hall. Probably other children.