Henry M. Jones was born in Phillipston, Mass., July 25, 1811. When about two years old, his father died, and his mother removed to Athol, Mass., and in his twelfth year he came to Hinsdale to live with his uncle, Windsor Bowker, where he remained two years. Next he was an errand and farm boy for Abram Hinds, who was the first lawyer of Hinsdale. Here he remained about four years, and was afterwards engaged as a laborer till about 1835, when he bought a saw-mill on Kilbourn brook, a short distance from the village, which he run about three years, then bought a shop on Canal street and engaged in the manufacture of doors, sash, blinds, and dressed lumber for many years. Mr. Jones has served his townsmen as selectmen three years, and was again elected, but resigned; was a representative to the state legislature in 1876-77, and was a member of the constitutional convention 1876. He was also captain of a military company, known as the Ashuelot Guards. He married Julia W., daughter of Henry Hooker, and reared three children. Two are mechanics, of Keene, and the third, a son, resides with his parents.