D. L. Mclaughlin, M. D., was born in West Winfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., May 28, 1834. From the age of thirteen, he attended school in New York City until the age of seventeen, when he commenced the study of medicine under Alonzo Clark, M. D., of New York City, which he continued up to the year 1854, during the time also attending a course of lectures in the Berkshire Medical College and also University of Louisiana. In 1855, he graduated from Berkshire Medical College, and at once commenced the practice of medicine in Point Coupee, La., at the same time being proprietor of a large plantation up to the breakout of our late civil war, when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Second Louisiana Volunteer Infantry, and was soon afterward assigned to duty as Hospital Surgeon, first at Yorktown and then at Williamsburg. In 1862, he was made Surgeon in Charge of the Hospitals at Lynchburg, continuing the same up to 1864, when, on account of ill health, he was transferred to the Department of Florida, and was made Staff Surgeon on the staff of Gen. William Miller, serving until the close of the war, when he returned to Virginia and commenced the practice of medicine in Hamilton, near Harper’s Ferry, from the spring of 1866 up to 1868. In the summer of 1868, on account of ill health of his wife, the Doctor came to Nebraska and spent that winter in Cuming City. In the spring of 1869, he settled in Tekamah, where he has lived ever since, engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1872, he was appointed Commissioner for the Insane for Burt County, which position he still holds. Is also Local Surgeon of the C., St. P., M. & O. R. R. Was married to Miss Georgetta W. Savage, of Hamilton, Elizabeth City Co., Va., September 23, 1862. She died at Tekamah December 25, 1878, a very accomplished lady who left many warm friends. She left four children-Mary V., William R., George S. and Linnetta M.