E. Shafer, firm of Shafer & Wilson, hardware, is a native of Knox County, Ohio; came, with his father, to Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1844; assisted on the farm; in 1857, came to Burt County, Neb.; followed farming about twelve years; then removed to Tekamah, and, with Mr. Gibson, opened a store, which they carried on several years. The past four years, the business has been carried on by Shafer & Wilson. He owns a farm of 250 acres half a mile north of town, also two stores and three residences in town, with a half interest in the brick store they are now occupying. All of this property Mr. Shafer has acquired since coming to Nebraska by judicious management and strict attention to business.