Bruce, Frank F.; jobber and mfr.; born, Cleveland, July 4, 1858; son of Eli and Caroline Eldridge Bruce; educated, Western Reserve University (Hudson, O.), 1881; married, Oxford, N. Y., Sept. 9, 1890, Sarah V. W. Perkins; one son and one daughter; pres. and treas. The Bruce & West Mfg. Co.; member of vestry, St. Paul’s P. E. Church; member of Troop A seven years.
Location: Hudson Ohio
Brett, William Howard; librarian, Cleveland Public Library; born, Braceville, O., in 1846; son of Morgan Lewis and Jane Brokaw Brett; educated, public schools, Warren, O., studied Western Reserve College, Hudson, O., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.; graduated from Hiram College, Hiram, O., degree A. M.; married, Cleveland, 1879, Alice L. Allen; issue, 6 children, 1 deceased; appointed to his present position in 1884; devoted to the cause of public libraries, and a student with a broad general knowledge; instrumental in forming the Ohio Library Ass’n, pres., 1895 and 1896; in 1897, pres. of the American Library Ass’n; chairman, in
Callow, William George; merchant; born, Hudson, O., Nov. 23, 1862; father’s name, Frank Callow; educated, Cleveland public schools; married, New York City, Dec. 25, 1900, Alice M. Burns; pres. and treas. The Kennedy Co.; sec’y and treas. The Euclid Huron Improvement Co.; member Athletic Club.
Caley, Frederick Henry; sec’y Cleveland Automobile Club; born, Hudson, June 2, 1873; sou of Frederick P. and Clara S. Palmer Caley; educated, public and high school and Ohio Northern University, Ada, O.; married, New York, Nov 27, 1913, Harriet E. Weffler; 1st Lieut. 4th Ohio Infantry, 1902-1910; active Republican; with National Republican committee two campaigns; State Insurance Dept., 1903-1906; office sec’y of State, 1906-1908; Ohio State Registrar of Automobiles, 1908-1911; has been successful in organizing automobile clubs throughout Ohio; mgr. The Cleveland Automobile Show Co.; member Y. M. C. A., Akron Lodge, No. 547 I. O. O. F., Akron-Canton, two
Crane, Fred Sanford; sales mgr.; born, Mantua, O., July 15, 1875; son of Simeon Charles and Laura L. Crane; educated, Mantua and Ravenna schools and Hiram College; married, Hudson, O., March 17, 1900, Alice E. Ellsworth; sales mgr. Burroughs Adding Machine Co., since 1903, Cleveland; member Masonic, Knight Templars, Consistory, Shrine, Automobile and Rotary Clubs, and Association of Credit Men.
Clarke, John Hessin; lawyer; born, Lisbon, O., Sept. 18, 1857; son of John and Melissa Hessin Clarke; educated in public schools and by private tutors; entered Western Reserve College, at Hudson, O., graduating in 1877; degree of M. A.; in 1880, studied law under his father’s instruction, and was admitted to the bar in 1877; until 1880, practiced law at Lisbon, O., in partnership with J. M. McVicker; purchased half interest in the Youngstown Weekly Vindicator; practiced law in Youngstown, and wrote political editorials for the Vindicator; sold interests in the paper in 1882; came to Cleveland in 1897, and
Gibbs, Harley Brownell; banker; born in Milan, Erie County, O., March 13, 1849; son of Edward Hanford and Maria Louise Brownell Gibbs; early education in Milan, O.; married, Hudson, Oct. 24, 1878, Miss Emma Johnson; Mrs. Gibbs died in 1894; when 16 years of age, went to work in a grain and commission house in Chicago, Ill.; there six years; came to Cleveland in 1871; served as bookkeeper for the King Bridge Co. until 1875, then elected sec ‘y, and in 1887, became treas. of the Company; resigned in 1907, but still a director of the Company; organized the Lake
Peck, Francis J.; engineer; born, West Farmington, O., Sept. 7, 1866; son of Dr. Allen Francis and Cordelia A. Fuller Peck; educated, public schools, Cleveland and Warren, O., Hudson Academy, Hudson, O., University of Michigan, Ph. C., B. S., E. M.; married, Elyria, O., Nov. 20, 1901, Caroline Margaret Cramer; one daughter, Helen Dorothy Peck; city chemist, Cleveland; chief engineer and mngr. Francis J. Peck & Co.; mining, chemical and mechanical engineers; director The Universal Community Mausoleum Co., and the Standard Reduction Co.; member American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The National Geographical Society; member Elks, B. P.
Leland Everett Call is professor of agronomy in the Kansas State Agricultural College at Manhattan. Though still a young man he has gone far in the science of agriculture, is already a recognized authority in several special lines, and since coming to Kansas ten years ago has done much to uphold the prestige of the splendid school at Manhattan. He was born at Kent, Ohio, February 9, 1881, the oldest of the four children of Charles A. and Olive (Prior) Call. Both his parents are natives of Ohio, and are still living in that state. His father is a farmer
Wilson, Harris R. C.Dr.; D. D. S.; born, Painesville, O., Sept. 7, 1881; son of George H. and Kittle Cooley Wilson; educated, Painesville and Cleveland graded schools, Western Reserve Academy at Hudson, Hiram College, Western Reserve University Dental School; married, Ravenna, June 20, 1908, Mabel Rogers; issue, Kathryn, Roger, Georgetta; member National Dental Ass’n, Ohio State Dental Society, Cleveland Dental Society, Northern Ohio Dental Ass’n; recording sec’y Cleveland Dental Society, 1913; member Clifton Club.