De Soto and his band gave to the Choctaws at Moma Binah and the Chickasaws at Chikasahha their first lesson in the white man’s modus operandi to civilize and Christianize North American Indians; so has the same lesson been continued to be given to that unfortunate people by his white successors from that day to this, all over this continent, but which to them, was as the tones of an alarm-bell at midnight. And one hundred and twenty-three years have passed since our forefathers declared all men of every nationality to be free and equal on the soil of the North
Location: Erie County PA
O. W. ANDERSON. Among all the industries that are carried on in any community, none succeed so well as the ones that are conducted by practical men. An instance in mind is the success attained by O. W. Anderson, who is a member of the firm of Anderson & Keightley, practical blacksmiths, of Billings, Missouri. He was born in Erie County, Penn., November 18, 1850, was reared and educated in Crawford County of that state, and there also learned his trade. His parents were Robert and Harriet (Yates) Anderson, the former of whom was born in the State of New
George L. Inman was for many years a. business man of power and influence in Champaign County. He was accustomed to handling large things in a large way, and besides the New Inman Hotel at Champaign, citizens of the county have reason to remember him for many other influences and activities. Mr. Inman was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1867, and was only a little past his fiftieth birthday when he died April 5, 1917. His death occurred at Cramer, Indiana, but he was laid to rest at Champaign, where he had his home for over a quarter
Leslie A. and H. G. Breed, farmers, P. O. Jewell City. Leslie A. was born in Erie County, Pa., December 11, 1855, removed to Johnson County, then to Linn County, thence to Missouri, and came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1873, and took a homestead and timber claim; and the father and son are now the owners of 320 acres of land, and they keep about 60 head of cattle and 120 fine head of hogs. Leslie A. held the office of Township Clerk for four years. He was married December 4, 1879, at McCabe Chapel, in Brown’s Creek Township,
Frank Gilbert, merchant, was born in Erie County, Pa, January 6, 1844. Moved to Indiana; came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870, and engaged in the grocery business in 1872. In 1873 the firm name was Faidley & Gilbert, and they continued in business until 1878. The firm of Mann & Gilbert are now carrying a heavy stock of general merchandise in a room 24×50 feet, including an upper floor of the same size. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Was married in Lagrange County, Ind., August 13, 1866, to Miss Ellen Austin, and they have two children
Brady, James Albert; insurance; born, Franklin, Pa., Nov. 16, 1880; son of John and Isabelle Kingman Brady; educated, High School, Union City, Pa., graduate; studied Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa., Columbia University, Washington, D. C., and Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Md.; married, Erie, Pa., June 3, 1905, Miriam E. Goodnough; two children, Louise Belle, age 6, and James A. Jr., age 4; came to Cleveland on Dec, 5, 1902, to enter life insurance work for The Mutual Life Insurance Co., in November, 1907, formed a partnership with R. A. Tuttle, the firm to take charge of Northern Ohio for The Midland Mutual
Dyke, Frank L.; business college; born, North East, Pa., Oct. 2, 1865; son of L. J. and Lucinda Stetson Dyke; high schools and some college training in Pennsylvania and Ohio; married, Cleveland, June 22, 1887, Ada E. Brown; two daughters, Lucy M. and Ruth E.; after teaching in public schools and business colleges for nine years, the institution now known as the Dyke School of Business, was established in 1893; began business in the Cuyahoga Bldg.; later moved to the Pythian Temple, and in 1902, to its present location in the Browning Bldg., on East 9th St., occupying 12,000 square
Dawley, Jay P.; lawyer; born, Ravenna, O., March 7, 1847; son of Perry P. and Rebecca Clemens Dawley; educated, Ravenna High School, and Western Reserve College; married, Corry, Pa., Sept. 12, 1873, Iva G. Canfield; issue, Frances C., William J., Arthur A. and Ruby S.; member of Company C, 16th Ohio Batallion Infantry; member Cleveland Board of Education and Cleveland Library Board; practiced at Cleveland Bar for forty years; director Webb C. Ball & Co., and Baldwin Hotel Co.; member Delta Upsilon Fraternity.
Elias Emerson Morris has for eight years been probate judge of Riley County. To that office he has brought a singularly fair impartiality, and ever since he entered upon his duties the people of the county have recognized that the interests of the widows and orphans have been most capably and honestly administered. Judge Morris is one of the old time educators of Kansas, and has long been identified with some form of official service in Riley County. He was born in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, November 2, 1859, a son of James S. and Mary (Chamberlain) Morris. His parents were
Hill, Hal. H.; contracting engineer; born, Detroit, Mich., Feb. 9, 1875; son of Thomas W. and Harriette C. De La Hooke Hill; educated, Cornell University, class of 1897, mechanical engineer; early education, University School, Cleveland; contracting engineer The Erie City Iron Works, Erie, Pa.; member American Society of Mechanical Engineers; Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Union, Roadside, Chagrin Valley Hunt Clubs of Cleveland, and the Erie Club, Erie, Pa.