Geo. W. Hayes stands high among the voting attorneys Eastern Oregon, and has established a foothold in Harney County from which it would be difficult to eradicate possessing as he does talent, energy, ambition and industry. He was born In Marion County, Iowa in 1859, coming across the plains with his parents in 1862, in an ox team. They located at Eugene, Lane County, where he stayed until 1874, having at intervals attended the log schoolhouse. Moving to Lake County, he kept up his studies, and at the age of 18 began teaching school, working also at the carpenter’s trade.
Location: Canyon City Oregon
The establishment of the above gentlemen, dealers in general merchandise, is a credit to Canyon City. Selling their goods at as close it margin its possible, believing in making small profits and having their customers well satisfied, they have an enviable reputation for fair and honest dealing. W. R. Cunnington, the senior member of the firm, has been in business here since 1803, and F. P. Horsley since September last, although both gentlemen were previously engaged in other pursuits In Grant County. At present they are operating two stores, the stone one 26×50, the frame, 22×30, both having fireproof cellars,
The Humboldt Mining Company, who control our of the largest and best hydraulic properties in this section, was organized in 1881 by Horose Sloan, Ira Sproul, Herbert Hunter, Fred Frey, Harry Heppner and Fred Yorgenson, to work 320 acres lying adjacent to Canyon City. The properly had been worked by the drifting process since 1862, with an average success yearly of nearly a million dollars. The nature of the property is that of an old river channel running with gold. A ditch has been built on it 8½ miles long, with a capacity of 1,000 inches of water. The present
Henry L. Valade, proprietor of the City Hotel of Canyon City, has had a number of years of experience in his chosen calling, namely, with the Norton House, of Ellensburg, Washington, and the Rainier Grand and Arlington hotels of Seattle, since taking charge of his present property he has made a number of desirable improvements, having added a first-class bar, over which is dispensed high grade wines and liquors, making a specialty of case goods. His wife, formerly Mrs, Ella Rau, of this county, has personal charge of the culinary department which is sufficient guarantee of the service rendered their
In journeying through life we occasionally run across some young man who in business circles has fairly distanced competition, endowed with greater advantages perhaps, but still lacking some qualification possessed by himself. This qualification may be embraced in a single word ambition. The young man whose name heads this sketch is endowed with ambition, coupled with industry, integrity, and holiness sagacity. Locating at Canyon City in 1889, for a period of two years he followed watch making, which he had leaned in the old country. He then began merchandising in a small way, and by studying the wants of the
Mr. Sels was born in 1837, in Merschede, Westphalia, Germany, which place he left while yet a youth and came to America. December 31, 1854, he arrived in California, and July 1, 1862, reached Canyon City, where he still lives and enjoys the fruits of a life of honorable business activity. In the summer of 1802 he mined at Prairie diggings, about four miles northeast of Canyon City, and in the spring of 1803 opened a general merchandise store in Canyon City in partnership with Mr. E. J. Stemme, under the name of Sels & Stemme. In the fall of
George W. Dart is one of John Day’s most honored citizens. He is operating a large general merchandise establishment there, and through courteous and fair treatment has gained the esteem of the entire community. Born in Maryland in 1858, he came to Canyon City, Oregon. In 1879, and was engaged in mining and stock rising until 1883. Moving then to John Day he became engaged in merchandising first under the firm name of Haptonstall & Dart, and later with Phil. Metschan, F. C. Sels and J. H. Blake as Haptonstall, Dart & Co. In 1890, in connection with C. E.
Tales of heroism have been the theme of song and story throughout all ages. He who has gone forth to battle for his country, his home or his principles, has figured in history, in literature and in music, and his bravery has stirred the souls of men through all times. All honor to such an one, and yet his heroism is no greater or his daring more pronounced than that of the honored pioneers of the west. Men reared in comfortable homes, accustomed to all the conveniences and privileges of life in the east, have come into the wild western
Mr. Anderson, who is president of the Weiser Bank, at Weiser, and chairman of the board of commissioners of Washington County, dates his residence in Idaho from 1869. He is a native of Kentucky, his birth having occurred in Louisville, February 21, 1846. He is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, the family having been founded in America by Thomas Anderson, the grandfather, who crossed the Atlantic in early manhood, taking up his residence in Kentucky. He aided his adopted country in the war of 1812, and also participated in the battles with the Indians during the early settlement of the “dark and
The editor and proprietor of the Weiser Signal was born in Kirbyville, Josephine county, Oregon, February 15, 1858, and is of English descent. His grandparents were William and Lucy (Lord) Lockwood, and his father was Robert Lockwood, Sr., a native of Australia, in which country he married Miss Clara Sophia Belknap. They became residents of Oregon in 1853, the father engaged in mining on Rogue River. In 1871 he removed to Albany and later located in Canyon City, in the John Day valley of Oregon, where he continued his mining operations and also acted as deputy sheriff of the county,