The following obituaries were either submitted by users or collated by Judy Wallis White. This is an extensive collection of obituaries for Baker County Oregon. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z T Surnames Taber, Leavon Ida Hutchinson Mrs. – Obituary Taggart, Andy C. – Obituary Taggart, Thomas – Obituary Talbott, Lester Elvin – Obituary Talich, Sylvia Nelson Mrs. – Obituary Talley, Zella Odelia Wallace Mrs. – Obituary Tallman, Irene Esther Capelli Mrs. – Obituary Tallman, John B. – Obituary Tally,
Location: Baker County OR
The following obituaries were either submitted by users or collated by Judy Wallis White. This is an extensive collection of obituaries for Baker County Oregon. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z W Surnames Waddell, Hugh Francis “Waddy” – Obituary Wade, Laura Jane Bulkley Mrs. – Obituary Waggoner, Waynette Lang Mrs. – Obituary Waldo, Joel F. – Obituary Waldron, Ellen Belle Canady Mrs. – Obituary Waldron, Steve – Obituary Walker, Donald Leon – Obituary Walker, Girtha Gwen Bainbridge Mrs. – Obituary
These 91 biographies and sketches have been taken from the manuscript “An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties Oregon.” Presently this is an incomplete offering so subscribe to this page if you’re interested on further updates. We will eventually provide the entire manuscript here.
The well-known and popular editor of the Grant County News is one of those jovial, genial fellows that it does one good to meet. His first work was at Union, Oregon and later at Baker City. In connection with J. T. Donnelly he purchased the “News” and two years later bought out his partner’s interest. From time to time he has added to the equipment of its office, until to day it is the peer of any in this section of the State. The policy of his paper is of an independent character, and as he wields a facile pen
About the Middle of October 1862, the first church organization in Baker County was effected under the supervision of Father Mesplie, of the Catholic Church, who came from Canyon City for that purpose. A long building was secured at the cost of six hundred dollars, but services were not held regularly, owning to the distance the priest had to travel. About the same time Miss O’Brien, now Mrs. Packwood, commenced the first school taught in Baker County, having about forty pupils in attendance. A lot was donated to her for school purposes and a sum of money raised by subscription
County Officers At the session of the legislature which convened in September 1862, an act was passed organizing the county of Baker, including within its limits all the southeast portion of the state, which has since been divided into the several counties of Wallowa, Union, Baker and Malheur. Officers for the new county were appointed upon their duties on the third day of November 1862, as appears from the journal of the county court, in which the first entry is as follows: County Court of Baker County, Oregon, met pursuant to law, Nov. 3, 1862. Present, the Hon. John Q.
The first Baptist church in Baker City was organized December 7, 1874, Rev. L. H. Boothe was chairman of the meeting and Prof. S. P. Barrett clerk. The members present were Hardin Estes, Perlina Estes, Arthur Smith, Mary Kilbourn, Samuel Gaines, Mary Gaines, Prof. Barrett, Mary Barrett and Delazon Smith. Prof. Barrett served as clerk until July 1875, then Arthur Smith about two years, followed by F. Baird for four years. Mrs. F. E. Small was chosen clerk March 15, 1884, and was succeeded by Wilbur Finch April 20, 1888. Frank Baird was clerk from February 1889 to March 1890,
Pursuant to an act of the legislature in 1874 the people of Baker City proceeded to form a city government, by electing the officers required by the terms of the charter. The trustees were S. B. McCord, J. A. Reid, S. Grier, J. H. Parker and G. J. Bowman. The first meeting of the board was held at the Court House, November 25, 1874, at which Bowman was elected president. The minutes of the meeting were signed by R. H. Cardwell, recorder. At a meeting of the board November 28, Wm. M. Constable was elected city marshal. On December 2,
A meeting was called by the Presbytery of Idaho to be held in Baker City, January 5 and 6, 1884, at which all members and those in sympathy with the Presbyterian church of the United States, were invited to be present. Rev. C. H. Shields, of Union, having been invited, presided at the meeting. The following named persons came forward and were duly constituted the first Presbyterian church of Baker City and asked that the name be placed on the roll of churches of the Presbytery of Idaho. John Edmunson, Mesdames Edmunson, Mitchell, McComas, Irland and Grey, John Edmunson was
Early in June 1862, traveling parties from California and Nevada began to arrive at the mines on Powder River. These parties had started for the Salmon River mines, and were surprised when they found a mining camp in Eastern Oregon. Amongst those who came across the country from those states were Hardin Estes, Fred Dill, John P. Bowen and perhaps others who have remained here ever since. Estes and Dill came from Nevada with a party of about twenty, known as the White Horse company, having received that name on account of so many of their horses being white. They