L.D. Butler, lumber dealer and farmer, was born in Ky. in 1826; removed to Clay County, Mo., in 1837 with parents. In 1846 was sent to England as a Mormon missionary, was gone two years, and in 1849 located at Council Bluffs; removed to Harrison County in 1853 and engaged in farming. He built the first gristmill in the county, which he sold to Dally & Clark. He engaged in the mercantile business in 1856, near the mill; moved the business to Woodbine in 1867 and was burned out the same year. He engaged in the lumber business in the spring of 1881. He owns a farm in Lincoln Township of 880 acres, 160 acres in Douglas Township and 200 acres in Boyer Township. He has been Postmaster in Harrison County twenty years. He severed connection with the Mormon Church twenty-five years ago. He was married in 1849 at Birmingham, Eng., to Anna Binnall, and has ten children.